Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KwilsonCCO

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
GA
A stupid question that i that i was wondering about is concerning the new powerbook and the 1.2 ibook

The built in AE is that a installed card or built into the motherboard?

Do these models with built in specs have a card installed like all the rest that are AE ready?

Was just wondering if it is a motherboard thing what happens if the AE messes up Do you get anew card and pop it in or you have to get the logic board worked on?

Im considering the 14 ibook in either the 1ghz or 1.2 ghzand would like to know about the AE issue

Im guessing these models just included a AE card but maybe im wrong

please let me know thanks

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
It is my understanding that a card comes pre-installed and that you replace it as needed, just as if you bought one without a card. But I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
I just popped an AE card in my iBook G4 933 that I bought last Nov.

The unit did not ship with the card, but it was ready to install (the antenna is inside the case itself, so you just plug it in and seat it into the existing AE slot) in 2 minutes.

The latest iBook 1Ghz models ship AE ready (like mine) but not installed. The 1.2 model ships with an AE card, as do all current Powerbooks.

Should say I've been quite impressed with the card so far.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
Im not sure about the iBooks but the Powerbooks ALL come with a built in AE. And back to your question - The AE is not part of the motherboard. The card comes pre-intalled in the AE slot.

KwilsonCCO

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
GA
Thanks i was thinking it was just the same card as the machines without built in

I know all about airport card installation as i have a old g3 ibook which i added a card but just wasnt sure about this built in stuff

So to let it be know that AE built in means u get the card at no other charge and u can take it out if you wanted

Thanks everyone

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong....

The Airport Expreme card in my iBook sits right under the keyboard. Pop the keyboard open and there it sits in all in its wireless wonder.

If your PowerBook ships with Airport Extreme as standard or as a BTO option, you'd be able to remove it, should you choose. Though I don't know where it's installed in the PowerBook (d'oh!), I'd imagine the configuration is similar to the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.