PDA

View Full Version : flashing ? startup manager not working

montie
May 8, 2004, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone

I have one of the first generation G4's which i use for video editing with FCP
it has OS 9 on it and the second release of OSX both installed onto the same HD
i had my mac set to boot into OS9 cuz i use the older version of FCP (not willing to spend oodles of money to upgrade right now while my version still gets the job done)
anyway so i was in OS9 and was trying to delete a program last nite and put alot of files into the trash can (some of these files were in the system folder) i restarted my computer and i got the flashing ? in the file. so i was stupid and deleted something i wasn't supposed to

i was intending to upgrade my computer old version of OSX to OSX panther anyway, so i went out and bought that today, thinking all i would have to do is pop in the CD and hold C so that i could boot from the CD and install the new OSX and then from the new OSX put the files back to where they are supposed to be for OS 9 to work.
but for some reason, when I boot up with the disc 1 for panther in the CD drive and hold down C the computer just gives me a grey screen and i get the file with the ? again

i went to the apple site and tried to do what they said there. i booted up holding down the option key so i could get the startup manager, but it won't display any drives to boot from. all it shows is the two arrow buttons and nothing else. all i need to do is be able to boot into OSX and then i can take the files out of the trash can and put them back. (the program i was deleting was exclusive to OS 9).

i've tried resetting the PRAM, although i know thats not the problem, and of course that didn't fix it.
i'd boot up with my OS 9 CD but it is at my parents house in St. Louis, but now i live in LA where i go to school.
i'm gonna be going back home in a few days and will be able to get the CD, but there is some editing i have to get done before i leave.
if any of you can give me some advice as how to fix this, i would be quite appreciative

I'm alot more educated in PC matters, so not being able to solve this problem is really frustrating. :)

thanks

Sun Baked
May 8, 2004, 09:04 PM
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/openfirmware.html

montie
May 9, 2004, 04:22 PM
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/openfirmware.html

thanks
but i tried that and i am still getting the flashing ?

its possible i accidently deleted a file needed for OSX also, but i don't get why i cant even boot using the install CD for Panther

montie
May 30, 2004, 11:13 PM
bump

update

I have the System Restore CDs and the Hardware Diagnostic CDs that came with the computer, but for some reason I can't boot to these CDs
I've tried resetting the PRAM, reseting the Open Firmware, pressing that button by the batter on the motherboard for more than 5 seconds and still no luck.

Sun Baked
May 30, 2004, 11:35 PM
Is this a PowerMac?

Multiple drives?