PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Unix command threatening to destroy me!

alvy singer
May 8, 2004, 09:11 PM
Help. I used some unix commands in my terminal window earlier today in an attempt to enable permissions, recover/mount volume from recent firewire bug.

I copied and pasted the characters from the Apple Knowledge Base so I wouldn't mess everything up, but somehow ---- it's messed up! When I attempt to close the final Terminal window a box pops up and reads:

"Closing this window will terminate the following procedures inside it: login, tcsh, man, sh, sh, less"

Only choices are "cancel" or "terminate". I'm afraid to click "terminate" - seems so final! Now I cannot shut down to see if any of the steps I took to recover data from my ext. fw drive were successful. Someone - please help!!! THANKS!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

bousozoku
May 8, 2004, 09:24 PM
Click cancel.

Type exit and press <return> or <enter> before closing a Terminal window.

alvy singer
May 8, 2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks, I tried that and the response I get is "no next tag (press return)". When I press return, it just extends the document inside the terminal shell. Also, as I type the last two keys - it - my keyboard makes a little ringing sound. Is there something in one of the overhead menus I need to do first?

Thanks!!

musicpyrite
May 8, 2004, 10:10 PM
I'd just click Terminate, heres a pic of what Terminal says to me when I want to quit folding:

gorman
May 8, 2004, 10:17 PM
Those are just some basic unix apps running, and "terminating" them won't cause any harm. It's just letting you know that some stuff is running, and making sure you want to close it. It's useful if you do have some things running and accidently close it, but in your case, it's totally safe to terminate it.

bousozoku
May 8, 2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks, I tried that and the response I get is "no next tag (press return)". When I press return, it just extends the document inside the terminal shell. Also, as I type the last two keys - it - my keyboard makes a little ringing sound. Is there something in one of the overhead menus I need to do first?

Thanks!!

If you don't have a shell prompt "%" or "$", you're probably still in man and you should be able to use control-c to quit man, then type exit and all that.

PaisanoMan
May 12, 2004, 03:35 AM
If you don't have a shell prompt "%" or "$", you're probably still in man and you should be able to use control-c to quit man, then type exit and all that.

In case you've still got that window open (hopefully not), it seems that you've got the Folding@Home client running in that window. I know nothing about it, but it should be perfectly safe to "Terminate".

JFreak
May 12, 2004, 07:27 AM
NEVER EVER run any unix scripts if you don't know what you are doing!

keysersoze
May 12, 2004, 08:08 AM
NEVER EVER run any unix scripts if you don't know what you are doing!

But....
...Terminal...
......Calling my name....
..............Must Resist.....
.....................Must not give in to power of Terminal.....
.............................But it's soooo pretty....
.....................................My Precious.....Terminal.....
ARRRHGGAHHHHH!!!!!

:)

abhishekit
May 12, 2004, 08:43 AM
hit ctrl+z, ,it wd stop any ongoing process..

Jeewhizz
May 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
It would help to know what exaclty you entered :D