Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I have a MacBook 13" (not under warranty). When the charger is connected it does not light or charge the battery. I have tested the battery and charger on another MacBook and they are fine. I have reset PRAM and SMC. Cleaned both the charger contacts and the ones on the computer.

Occasionally if I leave the charger connected to the computer for several minutes I get a faint flickering light (I cant even really tell if the light is green or orange or sort of both colors combined)

My guess is that something has burnt out on the main logic board. I have the computer open and have found one fuse (F 790) that is in tact.

Can someone with a service manual give me some test points and possible components (voltages, etc) to check.

Thanks

saligh22

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2009
I would suggest you to take it to a computer shop. It's risky to try to fix it yourself

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I dont want to spend any money on it. I would prefer to try to fix it myself and if I brake it more I would rather spend the money on a new computer.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I dont want to spend any money on it. I would prefer to try to fix it myself and if I brake it more I would rather spend the money on a new computer.
It doesn't cost much to get an estimate. And if they can fix it at a reasonable price... sell the thing. Chances are you'll still come in much cheaper by selling a working macbook rather than just trashing it.

core2duo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
It's going to be one of two parts:

1.) MagSafe DC-In board
2.) Logic board

The MagSafe board is dead simple to install. It involves one screw, one connector and a little bit of fiddling with a spudger. The manual (and part) are available from iFixit.

The logic board, on the other hand, is a much more involved repair. Not necessarily out of the league of an amateur repair, but it requires a good anti-static work zone (which you should have any time you're opening up your machine), thermal paste and the knowledge of how to apply it, a bin for organizing screws, and a few hours to set aside. Oh, and it's going to be fairly expensive.

Good luck!

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know "MacBook Magsafe DC-in Board" is just a a passive connector, because I am getting voltage into the laptop on the PC board side?

Any ideas on what to look at on the logic board itself? Test points? voltage readings etc?

Thanks

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn

If you're not qualified to do it you'll make it worse and wind up spending more.

The cheapest way to fix it is to bring it to a real shop.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I have this problem with my unibody macbook. im going to go to apple before my warranty ends in october, its actually a really annoying problem because i plug it in to charge and come back an hour later hoping there's some battery power, only to realize it wasnt charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.