Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Hi there.

I may look like a new user, but i've been reading this site for a while now (just too lazy to make an actual account) but here i am.

I bought a unibody macbook (2.4ghz) about 2 months ago. so far its running perfectly fine in os x and windows 7 under bootcamp.

i used to overclock the desktop pc which i used to own so im kind of a temp freak(not really happy about it), when i ran into a little problem. the istat menus on os x do not list the gpu temperature at all. granted the 9400m is integrated so i thought meh whatever. in windows however, i use hwmonitor to monitor my temps, and it shows a distinct gpu temp always over there.

the main reason i care about this is because my laptop runs significantly hotter in windows. i know os x handles hardware better, but it would be nice to find out my gpu temp under os x.

thanks for the help in advance

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Ahhh i see.

right now my cpu diode is at 53c so my northbridge (9400m) is at 48c

would it make sense that my gpu, under os x, is cooler than my cpu?
however this does make a lot of sense because in windows my gpu is in the upper 60s.

thanks for the info

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Ahhh i see.

right now my cpu diode is at 53c so my northbridge (9400m) is at 48c

would it make sense that my gpu, under os x, is cooler than my cpu?
however this does make a lot of sense because in windows my gpu is in the upper 60s.

thanks for the info

Windows 7 will use your GPU far more than OSX in order to run its Aero interface. Also, Windows power management isn't quite upto par with OS X, at least on the macbooks; something that can be seen in the reduced battery life. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if OS X turns back the speed on the GPU further than Windows does when it's not being used for 3D acceleration and whatnot.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Windows 7 will use your GPU far more than OSX in order to run its Aero interface. Also, Windows power management isn't quite upto par with OS X, at least on the macbooks; something that can be seen in the reduced battery life. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if OS X turns back the speed on the GPU further than Windows does when it's not being used for 3D acceleration and whatnot.

yes that makes a lot of sense. thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.