PDA

View Full Version : iBook 700 G3 upgraded to 7200rpm HD - RESULTS POSTED

spaceballl
May 9, 2004, 06:55 AM
So the results weren't too impressive.
Before - 50.11
After - 52.36

So before I upgraded the HD, I made the mistake of only writing the first number down and not submitting the results. Thus, I can't really see how much the disk performance sections' numbers increased.

That being said, XBench weights a lot of its test on things like graphics subsystem, memory subsystem, and CPU. It mostly tests how much "crunch" the computer has, and hard drive speed is only a small part of the equation so don't let the numbers deter you. It is quite nice to see my total HD space jump from 20 to 60 gigs though.

On the Xbench website, I compared my machine to other G3 iBooks. As far as disk performance goes, it is performing NEAR TWICE AS FAST as the stock drive. That's a RAW number too, not a theoretical estimate. On average it's about 185% faster w/ disk related benchmarks, but at times, up to 210% faster. This DOES INCREASE DISK PERFORMANCE SHARPLY.

As far as the overall snappiness of my computer, I'm not sure yet as it's too soon to tell, but I'll post results as soon as I get a feel for it.

Installation? Well, I've been building PCs for quite some time, and this was one of the more intense upgrades i've done. I found the hardest part to be prying the lower shell of the case off after the screws were out. It was a pain and the case had to be forced a bit. After that, good organization is key. There are FAR too many screws to just take them out, put them aside, and remember where they go. This is especially true as there are varying sizes of screws. ORGANIZATION is key. Here's what I did, and I reccommend it. I found a geocities site detaling how to replace the iBook HD w/ pics. I printed out the pictures and every time I removed a screw, i put that screw on top of the screw in the picture. That way I knew exactly the ground I covered.

Noise? Eh. Not too noticeable. The older drive was probably slightly quieter. However, every so often you could hear the drive make some clicks or spin up. This one doesn't make those noises. It pretty much stays consistent. The little bit of noise it makes is a very low noise. Often high spinning drives make a high pitched whine, but this one's great. So there's really not much of a noise increase at all.

Heat? Virtually the same. I've heard reports that after the upgrade, users report the palm rest to be walmer than before. Could be the case for some, but not noticeable for me.

I don't want to draw any conclusions yet. I gotta do some video editing and other HD intensive tasks and I'll let you all know when i'm done!

-Kevin

musicpyrite
May 9, 2004, 10:22 AM
Nice, I've heard it's a pretty big accomplishment when you replace anything on an iBook, if you have pictures of the iBook taken apart, POST THEM!

spaceballl
May 9, 2004, 12:55 PM
Man i'm sorry about not having pictures... I was in a big rush cuz I had to leave town so I only had an hour or so to replace it. Thus, I don't have pictures...
P.S. happy mothers day to the moms out there!

spaceballl
May 9, 2004, 05:18 PM
A few more observations (and more to come). I really want to mess around w/ iMovie. At my workplace, I had to edit a big project at the end of last summer, and I have been working on that a little bit these days. With the old hard drive, iMovie was definitely functional, but I always had to delete everything I wasn't directly using as HD space was so scarce. On top of that, video editing is very disk intensive.

Most programs open SLIGHTLY faster than before. I haven't rebooted so i'll reboot and let you know about boot time :). However, in iPhoto, I have over 1300 photos and iPhoto takes LESS THAN HALF the time it used to take. Programs with a lot of data like mail open faster too. Gonna reboot and let y'all know about that.

-Kevin

spaceballl
May 9, 2004, 05:28 PM
Wow. Boot time is far improved. I forgot to use a stopwatch to measure the boot time before the upgrade, but this SEEMS to be around 150 to 200 percent faster...
-Kevin

baby duck monge
May 9, 2004, 05:45 PM
well this upgrade definitely seems to have been worth your time. congrats on being brave enough to undertake it and good enough to succeed!

BTW, could you link to the site you used as a guide? i'm sure many others would like to see exactly what they would be getting themselves into by attempting such a stunt.

spaceballl
May 9, 2004, 06:30 PM
http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/lower_case_removal.htm