Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
I am designing a new website design and I have icons for each of the pages. The first two were easy to think of something that represents what they are for, but my last one is giving me problems. I can't think of something to represent a web design portfolio! I need something that is better.
My current icon is attached.

THANKS! :D

Attachments

• portfolio_icon.png
    portfolio_icon.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 373

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Here's an idea...

Make the symbol in the style of the other "easy" ones.

WWW has traditionally (almost to the point of overdone) been represented by a globe.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This is a web design portfolio, I presume. How about a computer screen with portfolio handles turned at an angle. Maybe with a web page on the screen.

Or an open traditional portfolio folder with web pages showing out of the top.

If your other icons are the same stylized square you posted, maybe the same design with a web page centered and the letter P.

Just random thoughts...

Dale

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
Update

I found a tutorial for photoshop on how to make a folder and I made one. So, what do you think? I was gonna put more than one webpage in the folder but it looked weird so I didn't.

Attachments

• portfolio_icon.png
    portfolio_icon.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 325

HyperSnake

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Switzerland
I found a tutorial for photoshop on how to make a folder and I made one. So, what do you think? I was gonna put more than one webpage in the folder but it looked weird so I didn't.

Now all you need to do is take away the ugly background. Use only the folder, that'll look simple and nice.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Could you upload the other icons you have done...
You can't treat them as individual icons if they are a set... lets see what would fit together?

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
The other icons

Could you upload the other icons you have done...
You can't treat them as individual icons if they are a set... lets see what would fit together?

Okey dokey. :D

Attachments

• blog_icon.png
    blog_icon.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 275
  • photography_icon.png
    photography_icon.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 286

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Okey dokey. :D

Ok so to fit in with them you would want to get rid of the crazy background and replace it for a solid colour.
Also the folder won't fit... You have 2 circles and then some folder :p
What about something to do with the globe as previously mentioned.
Also I think you may want to re do the text it looks very erm... Powerpoint-ish :p Nicely put.
You have the text the same colour as the background which is alright but they are in different places... make it more uniform as it is a set. What about making the image in the icon a bit smaller to make room for the text along the bottom of them both so its also not overlapping... You'd probs want to change the colour of the text too or it won;t be clear against the background colour. Or instead you could but an opaque layer of black behind the text.

Have a go... Just some critique there from an amateur :p
Also, I don't know how old you are but I think looking at your blog everything needs to be simplified and less in your face.
Smaller texts, softer gradients (if any), cleaner and more natural colours and neaten things up align things etc...
Just the simpler the better really :)
Hope all goes well
Luke.

Edit: Do a quick search on google for inspiration
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=globe+portfolio+icon&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
Ok, so I swapped out the folder with a globe.
And changed the words.

Here:

Attachments

• portfolio_icon.png
    portfolio_icon.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 258

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Well it fits better and looks cleaner than the old one.
How big are these icons going to be?
Photography isn't easy to read as it is.
Send me the .psd files of them and I'll have a little play. (email is on my profile on here)

Luke.

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
Well it fits better and looks cleaner than the old one.
How big are these icons going to be?
Photography isn't easy to read as it is.
Send me the .psd files of them and I'll have a little play. (email is on my profile on here)

Luke.

Well I first made them in 256x256 but I have saved different sizes of that. I am mainly using a 128x128 version of the icons

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Emailed you back the .psd files.
Only a 2 minute job but its not my project :p

I would still use classier/simpler fonts and softer gradients though.
Also I would probably make the circle images in the icons exactly the same size... I just scaled them by eye but you can specify dimensions.
Oh and maybe change the colours on some text... lose the shadows behind the text?

Attached the images here for the thread.

Luke.

Attachments

• blog_icon.png
    blog_icon.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 198
  • photography_icon.png
    photography_icon.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 194
  • portfolio_icon.png
    portfolio_icon.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 198

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
Emailed you back the .psd files.
Only a 2 minute job but its not my project :p

I would still use classier/simpler fonts and softer gradients though.
Also I would probably make the circle images in the icons exactly the same size... I just scaled them by eye but you can specify dimensions.
Oh and maybe change the colours on some text... lose the shadows behind the text?

Attached the images here for the thread.

Luke.

Hmm.. Thanks! I can't check my e-mail right now, but I really like them. I would have never thought of a space just for the text. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.