Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I am trying to figure out how to properly use Onyx and it just seems daunting to use - because of my unfamiliarity with OSX...and the terms used. Can anyone please advise how to properly use it?

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I've been reading several thoughts and opinions on Onyx and I am a bit reluctant to use it however. What is the general user thoughts here on this forum concerning Onyx?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
It's fine. What's the worry?

I run it before I run applejack and together they are able to calm most issues I encounter with OSX installs.

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
I've been reading several thoughts and opinions on Onyx and I am a bit reluctant to use it however. What is the general user thoughts here on this forum concerning Onyx?

It all depends on what you want to use Onyx for. My opinion is that it's not needed unless you have an issue to resolve.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My understanding is it provides a relatively simple user interface to run the regular maintenance scripts manually, and to run some of disk utilities features. It isn't a magic wand of any kind, and isn't likely to damage your system.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008

It's pretty simple:

If you're unfamiliar with OnyX, what is is, and what it does, you don't need it.

Judging by your username, I'd hazard a guess that you were interested in it because you think that you might see some performance increase from it. If that's the case, I've got some bad news: you won't.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
It's pretty simple:

If you're unfamiliar with OnyX, what is is, and what it does, you don't need it.

Judging by your username, I'd hazard a guess that you were interested in it because you think that you might see some performance increase from it. If that's the case, I've got some bad news: you won't.

judging by my name? just fyi - my name is riceaddictboy because i love rice and it was a moniker after working with a magazine called rice addict. nothing to do with anything you probably had stereotyped me with.

anyways, i usually use ccleaner on my pcs...and was under the assumption it was the same.

c.dub

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
I tried OnyX and didn't like it. I use Cocktail now and prefer it much more.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I think onyx is great application. I recommend running it every 2-3 weeks or whenever your system slow (though running maintenance it manually is as a good). For the OP, if you are not sure which menu to use, use automation choice, tick all boxes in automation and then click execute, that's should be enough to give your system a good clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.