PDA

View Full Version : Mainstage

tweekskratch
Jun 4, 2009, 02:25 AM
Any guitar/Piano players out there use Mainstage for live performance? I am wondering if anyone is having latency problems? I'm not sure I want to spring for Logic Studio until I know I'm not going to get a horrible lag when I play through my computer. I know this depends heavily on your hardware, but has anyone had problems with it? Any feedback is appreciated! thanks. :D

joe.cavers
Jun 4, 2009, 07:29 AM
I haven't actually used it for a performance, but I've messed around with it a fair bit to see what it was capable of. It seems pretty stable to me. I stopped looking into it because in terms of MIDI control, Ableton Live is better suited to what I do :)

Hope this helps.
JC

Paul Ashton
Jun 4, 2009, 09:05 AM
I used it on stage at the Pistoia Blues Festival last year. No problems at all.

Had to fly to the gig of course and my planned stage weapon, my then new Roland RD700GX in its flight case was 40Kg. Not allowed to fly even though I had paid for an instrument to go. I discovered this just hours before setting off for the airport.

I was OK for piano sounds as I had an actual piano (yamaha P70) already over in Italy, but organ sounds were an issue. I have a stack of synth modules but the only way I could get the organ sounds that I wanted was iMac with Mainstage and a CME keyboard - and the total weight was well within limits. The CME uses a WIDI connection so in fact my iMac was off to the side of the stage and I controlled sound selections from the CME. No latency at all.

http://www.thecompassroses.com/gallery/photo_list.asp?l=1&c=5&g=Pistoia Blues 2008

I since invested in a Nord Electro to be able to carry something much lighter and get the Hammond sounds! Of course MainStage gives you a much wider - almost limitless sound palette, but make sure you get your pre-sets nicely organised. You don't want to be fiddling about with a mouse during performance.

joe.cavers
Jun 4, 2009, 02:04 PM
I used it on stage at the Pistoia Blues Festival last year. No problems at all.

Had to fly to the gig of course and my planned stage weapon, my then new Roland RD700GX in its flight case was 40Kg. Not allowed to fly even though I had paid for an instrument to go. I discovered this just hours before setting off for the airport.

I was OK for piano sounds as I had an actual piano (yamaha P70) already over in Italy, but organ sounds were an issue. I have a stack of synth modules but the only way I could get the organ sounds that I wanted was iMac with Mainstage and a CME keyboard - and the total weight was well within limits. The CME uses a WIDI connection so in fact my iMac was off to the side of the stage and I controlled sound selections from the CME. No latency at all.

http://www.thecompassroses.com/gallery/photo_list.asp?l=1&c=5&g=Pistoia Blues 2008

I since invested in a Nord Electro to be able to carry something much lighter and get the Hammond sounds! Of course MainStage gives you a much wider - almost limitless sound palette, but make sure you get your pre-sets nicely organised. You don't want to be fiddling about with a mouse during performance.

That sounds absolutely awesome mate!

JC

noisegeek
Jun 8, 2009, 07:50 AM
One of the bands I work for uses Mainstage live for a lot of keyboard sounds.

To say there have been latency / crash problems would be an understatement.

Took some time, but now is running pretty smooth.

What set up you running?

How sample / layer heavy are your samples? etc...

tweekskratch
Jun 8, 2009, 09:52 AM
One of the bands I work for uses Mainstage live for a lot of keyboard sounds.

To say there have been latency / crash problems would be an understatement.

Took some time, but now is running pretty smooth.

What set up you running?

How sample / layer heavy are your samples? etc...

Well I haven't quit sprung for the studio yet because I was't sure about this issue. It sounds like for piano it's pretty great as far as latency goes! Anyone tried out a guitar? I tried to use a few other apps but everything had major delay problems.

Paul Ashton
Jun 9, 2009, 07:31 AM
May be hardware too. I am using iMac 2.4Ghz 24" 2Gb RAM

tweekskratch
Jun 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
May be hardware too. I am using iMac 2.4Ghz 24" 2Gb RAM

If you add effects with that set up, do you have latency problems?