Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I am planning on buying a Canon T1i, and I'm looking for the cheapest way to incorporate geotagging into my picture taking during my vacation this summer (and for the rest of the future). What is the cheapest GPS/geotagging solution?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I am planning on buying a Canon T1i, and I'm looking for the cheapest way to incorporate geotagging into my picture taking during my vacation this summer (and for the rest of the future). What is the cheapest GPS/geotagging solution?

Cheapest? Get a paper and pencil :p

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
If you have an iPhone, go for GeoLogTag. It's a complete geotagging solution for Mac users and it only costs $5. Really cool stuff!

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
instead of buying an app. you can just take a picture with an iphone in the same place you took a picture with your camera. The iphone stores gps data

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Or this: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1029391

This unit work on all brands of camera, I believe (in the product photo it is sitting on a Canon).

Looks pretty cool, especially if it works properly. The problem that I would have with it is the inability to use the pop-up flash or even an speedlite. It would be cool if it could use some sort of slim hot-shoe attachment that didn't block the pop-up flash and allowed for a speed lite to be attached as well.

Still, not a bad option since it would only need to log the location when you take a shot. That way, you don't end up with loads of GPS data from a day (or weeks) of shooting.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
If you have an iPhone, go for GeoLogTag. It's a complete geotagging solution for Mac users and it only costs $5. Really cool stuff!

I see there are a couple other apps that do this too. Anybody have any experience with more than one? Which one is the better app?

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England

According to the FAQ, each photo file has to be copied over WiFi to the iPhone and sent back (with updated metadata) back to the computer. The the whole process takes on the order of 2.5 sec per MB of photos.

http://www.galarina.eu/GeoLogTag/FAQ_Mac_geotag_performance.html

So a 16GB card will take ~10 hours to do! Better leave the iPhone plugged in.

Sounds like what is needed is an Mac/Windows app that takes the log file created by an iPhone app and updates the metadata directly on the computer. I'd be willing to pay $50 bucks for a "tag team" like this. I bet the time could be cut down by at least an order of magnitude.

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
If you have any sort of GPS unit that allows you to download track data, you can combine the pictures with the tracks when you get home. You have an extra gadget to carry around and it's not terribly accurate, but if you have the GPS already it's free. I have had success with GPSPhotoLinker in the past.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Followup to my post #10 in this thread...

I researched all the GPS tagging apps in App Store and decided to get PlaceTagger. At $9.99 it's the most expensive of the bunch, but so far I love it. The concept is just as I envisioned the ideal GPS tagging workflow to be - an iPhone/desktop app combo, which is far superior (at least in terms of speed) to GeoLogTag suggested by Krikke68 (post #6). You load the photos in the desktop app, fire up the iPhone app, click "Write Photo Tags" in the desktop app and presto -- the photos get their GPS coordinates embedded in the metadata! No need to copy (over WiFi) files to the iPhone and then back to the computer (a la GeoLogTag). All you have to do is enable automatic place lookup in iPhoto preferences and every one of your photos gets a place tag in iPhoto automatically (duh!).

I highly recommend PlaceTagger for anyone looking for an inexpensive way to geotag their photos (iPhone+Mac required).

Stormbringer

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Do I understand it right that those iPhone apps track your location continuously, and then on the computer they synchronize the time of the taken pictures and this whole location data?

And are there any more options besides buying an iPhone? That Jobo device is pretty expensive, seems not to sit very well in the hotshoe, and there's no Mac compatibility (yet)...

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Do I understand it right that those iPhone apps track your location continuously, and then on the computer they synchronize the time of the taken pictures and this whole location data?

You need to launch the App for it to track your location. The iPhone doesn't run 3rd party apps in the background. So if you get a call, you will need to relaunch the app.

Stormbringer

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
You need to launch the App for it to track your location. The iPhone doesn't run 3rd party apps in the background. So if you get a call, you will need to relaunch the app.
Ah ok, thanks! :)

taking a picture with the iphone is free... getting an app to do it is annoying.
So letting an app to do practically everything for you is more annoying than taking two pictures (one with your good (SLR) camera and one with the iPhone) every time over and over again, and then edit the metadata one by one manually?

SayWhat?!

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Connecticut
Photo Geo Tagging Options

I am considering the same thing. I have looked at the following:
http://www.amazon.com/GiSTEQ-PhotoT...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244887620&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/AGL3080-Driverless-Windows-Software-included/dp/B000WO6HJW/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Let me know what you think.

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
According to the FAQ, each photo file has to be copied over WiFi to the iPhone and sent back (with updated metadata) back to the computer. The the whole process takes on the order of 2.5 sec per MB of photos.

This argument is no longer valid with the release of GeoLogTag 3.0. Geotagging performance is ~10 times faster for JPEG photos. It slightly depends on the type of digital camera you use, but GeoLogTag geotags about 80 photos per minute.
RAW photos are geotagged even faster: 100 - 150 photos/minute.

Sindiya

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
re:

Easytagger GPS just $108,( http://www.e-geotag.com.), cheap and good quality. While now, Bluetooth GPS is getting popular, Easytagger released a new Bluetooth GPS that can be used on Nikon D3X, D3, D3s, D700, D300S, D300, D2Xs, D2X, D2Hs, D200, D7000, D90, D5000, D3100 and Fujifilm S5 Pro. You may consider it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.