Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget points to comments by technology reporter Walt Mossberg as evidence that the new iPhone is indeed imminent. Mossberg posted a new review for the Palm Pre in which he acknowledges that Apple is poised to release a new iPhone at WWDC. In fact, he's very specific about what he expects next week:
Apple already has announced it’s adding MMS, universal search, and copy and paste. And, although Apple hasn’t announced any new hardware features, I expect to see an iPhone with up to 32 gigabytes of memory, video recording, a higher-resolution camera, a compass, and greater operating speed.
While these comments from anyone else would be dismissed as idle speculation, Mossberg is a long established technology reporter who either seems to believe all the circulating iPhone rumors or knows it for certain. Regardless, we'll all find out next week at WWDC.

Article Link: Mossberg Also Believes a Faster iPhone is Imminent

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
If the pre has a curved back, won't it be hard to type on while resting on a flat surface?

macindork

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Looks like Walt reads the forums too...

By the way, 32GB of Storage, not "Memory"...

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Looks like Walt reads MacRumors.

Exactly. This is like those circular wikipedia references, where someone looks up wikipedia and uses something from there in a published article, and when the "fact" get challenged by moderators at wikipedia, they just cite the article!

This list is *exactly* what has been discussed on macrumors. No more and no less. His source is MR. Therefore MR can not use Walt as a source.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
If the only difference between the $199 and the $299 is 16 GB of storage compared to 32 GB, I'm actually buying the cheaper iPhone for the first time. I have a 16 GB now and only use a little over 8 GB. But i hope for a front facing camera, better camera and a very similar design to the 3g. It's was near perfection aesthetically.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Exactly. This is like those circular wikipedia references, where someone looks up wikipedia and uses something from there in a published article, and when the "fact" get challenged by moderators at wikipedia, they just cite the article!

This list is *exactly* what has been discussed on macrumors. No more and no less. His source is MR. Therefore MR can not use Walt as a source.

This is also faulty.

Just because that these sorts of issues have been discussed here and now that Mossberg now inserts himself into this similar speculation does not mean that Mossberg's claims are based on the claims made on this particular site.

Where does it say that his source is macrumors?

Due to Mossberg's stature, there is a certain level of credibility and veracity to his claims compared to others who would make similar statements.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk

he doesn't quote the 4, 8 and 16gb configurations does he? those are on MR. no mention of the possible different model shapes. no mention of the matt black possibly rubberised back? there quite a lot less that Walt mentions that what has been discussed on MR
and anyway MR isn't the source for any of these rumours - MR has merely told us what is being reported on other sites.

anyway, in the past, Walt Mossberg has been a lot closer to the truth than others such as Shaw Wu, so if he believes these particular rumours that he mentions, then i'm inclined to believe he might be right because his track record is reliable.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Due to Mossberg's stature, there is a certain level of credibility and veracity to his claims compared to others who would make similar statements.

Quoted for agreement.

Yes, there's no circular reinforcement here. We clearly said in the article that he "either seems to believe all the circulating iPhone rumors or knows it for certain".

arn

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Pretty arrogant to assume just because a highly respected industry veteran, has heard the same things that we have, that he's getting his sources from us.

Pretty arrogant.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
I know people who want to buy the pre just because they want to be "different" than the iphone users.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I wonder if it'll look like this:

iphone4gohne.jpg

macam

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
Doesn't Walt's predictions normally hit true though...?
If it is then he's confirming what we've heard and have written about. I for one take this as hope that we will get a new iPhone... Coz nothing certain until we hear the special musical guest at the end of the keynote.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I don't think he has any insider information. I read that article this morning after seeing a link from the BBC (which made no attempt to read into anything) and I didn't think this meant anything.

I think Walt Mossberg is simply a bit of an iPhone fan and has good feeling to believe - just like the rest of us here - that a new iPhone is coming out with these things. Of course it's going to be faster. It's not exactly rocket science!

Last year everyone jumped on the fact that during a similar time prior to the launch of iPhone 3G he said in a video podcast that the iPhone would have 3G this year. But anyone could have said that because it was so obvious it was going to be true. I didn't read anything into it then and I don't read anything into this now. Journalists normally talk in this kind of language because it is what is expected to happen, whether it will actually happen or not.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I wouldn't mind if they magically can make the iPhone a little thinner, and with a rubberized back texture. Just chaning to matte plastic isn't really exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.