PDA

View Full Version : how often to charge PB to prolong battery life?

jackc
May 9, 2004, 02:14 PM
I've got a 12" PB with Airport that I use as a desktop replacement. What is the best way to prolong battery life if I use it for, say 30 minutes at a time using battery power, and otherwise plugged in at my desk. Should I be worrying about too many short recharges? Is it better to just let the battery run down some more? Put it to sleep without plugging it back in?

titaniumducky
May 9, 2004, 03:24 PM
I've got a 12" PB with Airport that I use as a desktop replacement. What is the best way to prolong battery life if I use it for, say 30 minutes at a time using battery power, and otherwise plugged in at my desk. Should I be worrying about too many short recharges? Is it better to just let the battery run down some more? Put it to sleep without plugging it back in?

Full discharges and recharges shorten the life of the battery, but if they aren't done occasionally, the gauge of the amount of battery life left will become inaccurate. The battery automatically stops charging at 100% till it drops below 95%. These short charges prevent causing the battery's life to die.

crees!
May 9, 2004, 04:00 PM
You have nothing to worry about if that is your usage pattern. I do the same.. mine is plugged in all the time except for when I go to another room to work on the couch :) or if it's asleep in my bag when I'm traveling.

michaelrjohnson
May 9, 2004, 07:01 PM
i just got my new ibook, and ive been wondering the same things. thanks!