PDA

View Full Version : NO internal video on imac intel G5

mycorrado
Jun 4, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I bought a broken LCD 20" intel imac and have been trying to get this going. I replaced the LCD and get no video.

imac boots fine and displays great on an external display.

I have tried 2 LCD's, 2 cables, 2 inverters with no luck.

I have reset PRAM, replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, and reseated the ram.

This imac had what looked like a fresh install of Mac OS X. I ran all the updates and brought the firmware current.

Only other thing I have not tried yet is to boot from CD.

Any suggestions?:confused::confused::confused:

MTI
Jun 4, 2009, 12:18 PM
I was a bit confused by the title "imac intel G5" since it had to be either an intel or G5. You are probably aware that the G5 LCD panels aren't compatible with the Intel models.

Since you've done quite a bit of parts swapping, one theory could be that the inverter or the power to the LCD isn't working. If you shine a light on the LCD can you detect the screen image? If so, that's typically an inverter or lcd florescent tube failure . . . but if there's no sign of life, then it's likely that it's the data cable.

mycorrado
Jun 5, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for clarifying that for me, it is then an intel iMac, not a G5.

Now, I am curious if anyone knows if the inverter gets power regardless of the signal cable being plugged in.

I took apart my older cracked LCD and put just the backlight portion of it in place, connected it to the inverter and it does not come on. I remember it lighting up before so either my inverter is bad or the logic board turns it off when it doesn't detect a display connected..

When I fully connect my replacement LCD, the iMac says no device connected so it doesn't see the panel.

If this is the case, maybe the logic board got fried and the inverter(s) never get power..