PDA

View Full Version : Japan Sees Future in Phones That Give Directions

Sparky's
May 9, 2004, 03:46 PM
"On Star" takes on a new meaning. I wish my phone would do this.

TOKYO (Reuters) - In a country where quiet efficiency and a frenetic pace manage to coexist, Japanese consumers are discovering the convenience of mobile phones that know where they are and can help you get where you want to go.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=8&u=/nm/20040508/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc

:D :D :D

chelka-poo
May 9, 2004, 08:33 PM
sounds awesome
why can't we take hints from japan and adopt all their good ideas?
:D

wdlove
May 9, 2004, 08:46 PM
"On Star" advertising is very big here in Boston radio & TV. I'm sure that it is all a matter of money and time to have that system here on cell phones. I know that they are pushing to have the GPS system on cell phones soon.

melchior
May 10, 2004, 07:54 PM
this has been going in japan for at least a year now. really, very useful. gps is just starting to enter phones... i kind of feel japan is lacking for idea's on how to innovate their phones. all they seem to be doing is having more complicated software and higher quality cameras...

just for interest sake, japan is also a country where every driver has a navi, an on dash gps navgation system. it's just standard.

Raid
May 11, 2004, 10:57 AM
just for interest sake, japan is also a country where every driver has a navi, an on dash gps navgation system. it's just standard.

Not only is it standard I'd say it's needed! When I was there I found it Ironic that a country so organized and efficent has such messed up building addresses! Heck in Tokyo I'd go into a building, leave from a different exit and had a tough time figuring out where I was! :eek: :o

The big brother paranoia already exisits for cell phones, as it stands right now your cell phone signal can be used to triangulate your position. But I guess this means your location could be availible to other people or companies.