Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
So I try to copy a 30MB folder via toast from my iBook through my Lacie CD-RW via USB onto a disk at 4x and I get a speed error. I need to lower my speed. But when I use 1x Toast hangs forever. I waited even 5 minutes for Toast to do anything; then I force quitted. I have tried this with the iBook plugged in and not plugged in.

I can?t burn the CD. Why is this happening and how can I get around it?

iBook 466 (Graphite)
Mac OS X 10.1.5
128MB RAM
Toast 5.1.1
Lacie CD-RW: U&I 16x10x40 for IEEE-1394 (Firewire), 4x4x? for USB
Data transfer attempt over USB
Toast recognizes the CD-RW as USB

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I'll try the update and install it onto my iBook. But you guys have to be patient for a response, as this will take me about an hour just to download...10MB! :(

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by King Cobra
I'll try the update and install it onto my iBook. But you guys have to be patient for a response, as this will take me about an hour just to download...10MB! :(
Ouch! Your on dialup then I take it? Poor thing...I feel for u man :)

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
1hr for 10 MB. You're hurtin' man. I feel sorry for you. I get pissed when a 10 MB download takes longer than 2 min...

BTT (back to topic): if the update fails, try to trash your toast prefs (use rm -f in terminal as root), if that fails, try a reinstall. Toast should be able to burn at least @ 2x speed to USB. Also the LaCie burners are fairly stable, even on USB...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
>Ouch! Your on dialup then I take it? Poor thing...I feel for u man :)
You think that's bad? I put 28.8k through the ultimate test: downloading Mac OS 9.2.1 update (free). The file size was 80+MB and it took me over 6 hours to download! :eek: :eek:

Anyways, I just updated Toast to 5.1.3 and now everything hangs. so basically I still get the same problems. No success. :(

But Toast 5.1.3 works fine on my iMac with OS 9.2.2 and USB. What is the problem?

BTW I couldn't reply sooner, since there must have been a lot of people on the server (loa).

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
be careful

have you tried looking for OS X drivers for your drive?

4X should work fine via USB (no faster though - sorry)

use rm -f in terminal as root

a word of caution to anyone thinking of using commands like this, make sure you read the man file first.

type:
Code:
man rm

using rm -f as root without being careful could be very dangerous

josh
out

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Extention manager

I had a Que! USB Drive and I had simmilare problems in the past. The way I fixed it was to first in crease the buffer size (Toast preffs) and then number 2, Make a slim extention set with the Extention manager. I called it "Toast Set" I used only nessistary OS extentions, the Toast stuff and a few other little things I thought I would need durring a burrning a burn. Then I just go in the the contole pannels, pick my "Toast set", reboot, and burn.

I found I could burn with fewer errors at faster speeds this way. The drivers for my drive and extentions for Toast confliced with some of my other apps... this soved my problem. You might want to give it a try. But.. remeber, make a seperate extention set, you wont remember how you used to have it if you go in and start chaning your defualts.

-evildead

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
i_b_joshua, I realize that 4x is the max you can go, but I had problems about 4x being too fast. Plus, I don't use the Terminal, so I won't be able to understand UNIx that well.

evil, I'll try what you said and I'll get back to you on it. At least this time I won't be downloading big files as being one step of the process! :cool:

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
yeah I was really answering crassusad44's comment that USB could handle 2X.
4X is definitely not an unreasonable expectation.

i've run a ZIP 4X USB off my powerbook G3 at work (OS 9.2) and as you said youself it works in 9 for you too so my guess is that it's RAM or OS X drivers.

with regards to Terminal, get in there.
it (unix) is so powerful and you can learn a lot about different functions by using man (short for manual)

good luck with your burner. i've just bought an external firwire kit and an LG 24/10/40 drive for my iBook.
damn it works fine with Toast Titanium. :)

josh

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
evil, I think you are working in OS 9. I have had this problem in OS X 10.1.5 and I don't see how the Extentions Manager will help OS X.

Again, I can't burn the CD either as a result of an infinite hang, or because for whatever reason the speed I have selected is too fast, which it isn't.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you still have the issue after updating Toast to 5.1.3, then the issue is [most likely] the fact that you are trying to burn via USB. :rolleyes: Personally, I would NEVER use USB for burning (too damned slow, and cannot feed the drive fast enough).

If you can, use the FireWire port (which year iBook is this?)

BTW, I checked the resources, and the only 466 iBook that I was able to find, shows a single FireWire port. My suggestion, if you have that same iBook, USE THE FIREWIRE PORT!!!

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
careful, never plug or unplug something from your firewire chain while burning....

I have lost lots of cd's because I just forget about the burn, and take the iPod off, then *Poof*

burn error (using toast 5.1.3)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
evil, I think you are working in OS 9. I have had this problem in OS X 10.1.5 and I don't see how the Extentions Manager will help OS X.

Again, I can't burn the CD either as a result of an infinite hang, or because for whatever reason the speed I have selected is too fast, which it isn't.

Oops... sorry. For some reason I thought you guys were talking about OS 9. Thats just what I used to do when I used OS 9 and my old CD-R

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Tech, I was going on vacation with my iBook (2000 w/FW) to where my old iMac is, but it has no Firewire port. Also, since I was going to use a simple 4x CD for burning data, the Firewire would not really be any faster than USB. So I only have a USB cable.

3rdpath, I'll try what you said and I'll see if it works out.

Big evil, no biggie. :D :cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
3rdpath, dishing the preferences did not help at all. And how do you up the buffer size? I tried searching for that from using Toast Help but I got no results for it.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Are you using the burner on the iMac or iBook??? At the start, you made it sound like you were using the iBook, which should have firewire, if it doesn't then it goes against what all the resources I have looked on. If you are trying via the iMac, did you bring the iBook with you?? If you did, then just hop over to the local computer shop, grab an ethernet crossover cable and move the data to the iBook and burn it there via FireWire.

Burning via USB opens yourself up to all kinds of issues, more then you have normally. :eek: :eek: :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Tech, the iBook does have firewire. The iMac doesn't. I originally wanted to say that I was transferring data over USB from the iBook onto the CD-RW. Yes, I have both computers with me right now. My father said that there should be an ethernet cable at the nearby Staples in town.

So USB has all these errors? For what reason?

I'll check out the solution with ethernet. However, neither my father nor I know how to work ethernet. If you guys can help me out on how data transfer works over ethernet I would appreciate it. If not, I will post a separate thread in this forum when the time comes. :cool:

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
here's a very quick simple trick...turn one computer off, plug a firewire cord between the two computers (I believe USB works the same)

reboot the computer that was shutdown while holding down the "T" key (for Target Disk), it will launch as an external drive on the machine already launched.

I know for a fact that firewire works (and can not believe any iMac would come without firewire)

ethernet works between the two computers (I believe) directly connected under OSX, then use command+K to connect

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
>here's a very quick simple trick...turn one computer off, plug a firewire cord...firewire works (and can not believe any iMac would come without firewire)
I'm just asking about ethernet, no USB and no Firewire.

>ethernet works between the two computers (I believe) directly connected under OSX, then use command+K to connect [/B][/QUOTE]
So how do I transfer files? Which computer requires the com.+K? Do I need to reboot as in Firewire? How do I disconnect? Are there any precautions I need to know about when to connect/disconnect/etc.? This is the type of information I need to find out.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
>here's a very quick simple trick...turn one computer off, plug a firewire cord...firewire works (and can not believe any iMac would come without firewire)
I'm just asking about ethernet, no USB and no Firewire.

>ethernet works between the two computers (I believe) directly connected under OSX, then use command+K to connect
So how do I transfer files? Which computer requires the com.+K? Do I need to reboot as in Firewire? How do I disconnect? Are there any precautions I need to know about when to connect/disconnect/etc.? This is the type of information I need to find out. [/B][/QUOTE]

Alright Queen Cobra :D, connect the two systems together with the crossover cable... Turn File Sharing on, on one of the computers. Share out a folder on that same computer. Use the other computer to connect to the shared computer and folder. Drag and drop files from shared computer to other computer... Pretty much the same as in OS 9.x, except things look a little different, and are placed in slightly different places.

It's really quite easy to do. Worse case, boot both back into OS 9 and do it that way.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
remember, if you follow alphatech's suggestion to connect to another machine you'll probably need a user/pwd for that machine whether it's 9 or X

and be careful. make sure you buy a crossover cable not a standard ethernet cable. a crossover cable has the wires reversed on one of the plugs enabling you to connect two ethernet cards without the need for a hub.

personally i think you should have no trouble with the USB connection if you upgrade your drivers from the Lacie web site. it would be cheaper and less trouble than the ethernet solution

josh

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
What a lot to sift through.... my post on connecting as a target disk were a mere mention of how neat I thought a feature was for easily transferring files.

> I'm just asking about ethernet, no USB and no Firewire

sorry, again I just thought my tip was cool, & have used it to transfer large amounts of data much quicker (through firewire) than ethernet or USB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.