Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
I just unpacked my laptop after a 5 hour trip, turned the computer on, started using it for about 15 minutes and then all of the sudden my battery power went from 90% to 0%. Now it seems to be charging again, but I know the battery was fully charged before my trip started. Any ideas?

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Happened to me about three months after I had bought my 12" PB. Bought a new battery and haven't had any problems since. So based on my experiences, the battery is most likely the culprit. Perhaps someone else has some ideas.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Yep. It's most likely the battery. I had the same thing happen to me. Although mine was doing even worse things. It would just randomly shut off with out telling me. Even when it said I had 30% battery life. I bought a new battery and it solved all my problems. You might be able to get Apple to replace it for you, but I bet it will be tough.

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
Maybe it is a sign that I should replace this old 667mhz powerbook ;). Well guess I will wait and see what happenes when the battery is back at "100%" hopefully it will hold it's charge..........somehow :)

I find it really weird that this happened tho, I had used the laptop down to 10% the day before the trip and then fully charged it over night and when I turned it on in the morning it was at 100%.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
If your computer has any warranty left on it at all, get the battery replaced by Apple. I've had the same problem before twice with my old iBook (once at 90%, once at 17%). The first time, Apple replaced the battery, no questions asked. The second time, Apple had me ship it and they replaced the power manager--again, no questions asked. Both times, it was under the original one-year warranty.

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
Well I pluged it in and it got to 15% then said it would take 22hours to finish charging. So I shut down my computer poped the battery out gave it a quick clean on the prongs and now it seems to be working again :D. Gonna contact apple tomorrow and see what they think I should do. I got apple care so I may just get them to replace it if they think anything is wrong. Thanks for the quick responses :D.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Kevlar said:
Maybe it is a sign that I should replace this old 667mhz powerbook ;). Well guess I will wait and see what happenes when the battery is back at "100%" hopefully it will hold it's charge..........somehow :)

I find it really weird that this happened tho, I had used the laptop down to 10% the day before the trip and then fully charged it over night and when I turned it on in the morning it was at 100%.

That sure would have provided info to have better answered your question the first time.

though to be better provide info for future users, you might want to let us know how you used your battery....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.