PDA

View Full Version : What to buy? Need a bit of advice...

J the Ninja
Jun 4, 2009, 03:47 PM
Recently, I got my first real film-sound gig (or, at least, something far closer to a film gig than I've had before). Granted, it's a unpaid job on a shoestring-budget-student-film some friends are doing, but, hey, it's a gig. In any case, it's definitely time I got my own DAW. Since I'm looking to do this professionally someday, I figured I should get ProTools, since it's the "industry standard" and all. But......it seems I would need the (pricey) DV Toolkit for this? How is film sound usually done? The movie itself will be edited in Premiere. Do they wrap scenes up as OMF, and send it my way, I do my thing with the soundtrack, export it back to them as another OMF? Or am I completely missing how it's done?

In any case, an interface AND the DV Toolkit is a little over my budget right now. I have much less use for a hardware interface than I do some software that will handle film post, so I was considering getting Logic Studio, then picking an Mbox or something when I get the money, and maybe getting the DV Toolkit down the road (like when I'm done with my associates degree).

Anybody got any advice for me?

zimv20
Jun 4, 2009, 04:36 PM
Recently, I scored my first real film-sound gig

congrats!

now do you mean, "i will be doing it", or "i've written the music score for it"?

ChrisA
Jun 4, 2009, 05:08 PM
... I figured I should get ProTools, since it's the "industry standard" and all. But..

Wrong way to decide what to use. The right way is to figure out what you need to do then buy whatever dose that.

What kind of sound work will you be doing? Holding a mic boom or writing the score? You don't say.

With computers the "industry standard" is a cheap $500 Dell running XP. Why not buy that?

J the Ninja
Jun 4, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'll be handling ADR, foley, mixing the film, that sort of thing. I'll probably end up holding mic booms too, this isn't a big project. (It's really a group of college students saying "Hey! Let's make a movie, 'cause we all need film experience and a creative outlet! If we make it professional-looking, we can get it played in local theatres, and maybe make something off DVD sales!")

I don't know what the plan is for the score. I'm not sure there even is one yet. Shooting won't be starting for a few months still.

zimv20
Jun 4, 2009, 06:08 PM
(It's really a group of college students

does that mean you have access to gear and/or a post-room?

J the Ninja
Jun 4, 2009, 07:47 PM
does that mean you have access to gear and/or a post-room?

Some gear (shotgun and lapel mics. Not sure what, but I believe they are being borrowed from a church, so probably a bit to the lower-end side) No post room.

xparaparafreakx
Jun 4, 2009, 11:57 PM
What is your budget? Do you have any hardware? Sound interface or anything of that sort?

I have logic studio but never got time to mess around with Soundtrack 2. Logic Studio is only $150 at the bookstore, not the edu apple store.

pkoch1
Jun 5, 2009, 12:18 AM
I don't know what the plan is for the score. I'm not sure there even is one yet.

Well if they need a composer, I'm looking for a summer project. Just saying ;)

www.paulkochmusic.com!

I wouldn't go with the DV toolkit for PT LE if you get it. It's a lot of money to basically just be able to see SMPTE timecode. There are other workarounds that will let you spot things without spending the dough.