Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skydiver32

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I have a couple or relatively small external HD that I plan on using for TM.
My question is how well does it compress the data? Do I need an external that exceedes or matches the size of the HD in the machine, or the amount of data being backed up.

Thanks

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I don't think there's any compression. When I did my first backup ever, it was about the same size as the amount of data I already had on the drive, minus the OS size perhaps.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What NewMacbookPlz said, Time Machine doesn't compress the data - it copies the data exactly as is and stores it in a bundle file. If you're the only one backing up with Time Machine, 500GB would be perfect though you could get away with 250-300GB HDD.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
What NewMacbookPlz said, Time Machine doesn't compress the data - it copies the data exactly as is and stores it in a bundle file. If you're the only one backing up with Time Machine, 500GB would be perfect though you could get away with 250-300GB HDD.

I picked up the 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go and it's perfect. 320GB for TimeMachine, 100GB as a mac extra partition, and the remainder as a FAT32 partition so my gf can backup her personal files.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Probably inexperience with computers or not keeping up with the times.
What a, "holier than thou" comment.

Compression is quite common with many backup programs. Since Time Machine is a "backup" program, I can see why the OP asked.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Huh? Is this a law or big taboo where you come from?

As I explained earlier, it doesn't make sense. We are talking about at least 15GB for the initial backup, much of which is probably images or music files, which cannot be compressed by any significant margin if they are already JPG/MP3/AAC files. There is a reason Apple didn't implement compression with Time Machine - it doesn't make sense.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
As I explained earlier, it doesn't make sense. We are talking about at least 15GB for the initial backup, much of which is probably images or music files, which cannot be compressed by any significant margin if they are already JPG/MP3/AAC files.
Now where did all the above *facts* come from in this thread? If you're going to keep adding stuff that hasn't even been mentioned then there's no point.

I only take issue with the fact you basically call somebody a dufus for wondering about file compression in a <gasp> backup program (of all things) - like it's something that went out with disco.

There is a reason Apple didn't implement compression with Time Machine - it doesn't make sense.
I guess that means the guys that put "file compression" in the Finder still wear bell bottom jeans then. Silly coders.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Now where did all the above *facts* come from in this thread? If you're going to keep adding stuff that hasn't even been mentioned then there's no point.

I only take issue with the fact you basically call somebody a dufus for wondering about file compression in a <gasp> backup program (of all things) - like it's something that went out with disco.

I guess that means the guys that put "file compression" in the Finder still wear bell bottom jeans then. Silly coders.

File compression sometimes make sense for one or a few files, but not the whole drive. That's just the way it is. Sorry if you don't like my attitude. Jimmy asked a question and I answered it. Go play meanie-police somewhere else.

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
I know some of you may **** your pants if I ask this, but does one really need Time Machine activated? :D

Could I buy an external HD a few weeks later and then set-up Time Machine?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Burning, you can set it up whenever you like. I set mine up a month or so after getting my UMB and I do backups weekly (I don't like having the external drive plugged in while using the MB)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
TM does not compress. But for what it's worth, you can optimize backing up your stuff by creating a "storage" folder somewhere, then excluding it from TM backups and copying it to TM disk manually. That is, if you have some static data that do not change often, like installers, extra backups and such.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
...But for what it's worth, you can optimize backing up your stuff by creating a "storage" folder somewhere, then excluding it from TM backups and copying it to TM disk manually. That is, if you have some static data that do not change often, like installers, extra backups and such.

If you have static data that doesn't change often you might as well use TM to back it up since it only copies changed stuff. The point of using TM is to make backups easy; don't complicate it.

I'm using a "storage folder" that isn't backed up by TM myself. I use it for very large files that I already have a copy of elsewhere (on CD or my media library) or files that can be easily reconstructed (such as a temporary recoding of a video).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.