PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Correct & You

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well I just had about enuff with the iPhone's Auto-correct feature, right now i'm startinjg to miss my BB. The BB auto correct is great and all but the iPhone is everything I needed in one device, but that stupid auto-correct on the iPhone is F***in annoying. The iPhone either picks up a miss spelled word or it doesnt at all, wait theres more mac becomes max, be becomes me and so on.....

gloss
Jun 5, 2009, 10:27 AM
You can a) turn it off and b) clear the dictionary.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 10:37 AM
You can a) turn it off and b) clear the dictionary.

I turned it off before, but how do you clear the dictionary?

Knowlege Bomb
Jun 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
The most annoying is the phone changing "is" to "I'd". Which is the more common word? Really. Not only do I have to backspace once for the wrong letter, I have to go back three for the apostrophe and the capital "I".

Ridiculous.

AiralynRose
Jun 5, 2009, 10:53 AM
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary

(Looking on a 3.0 phone though, so not 100% sure it is the same on 2.x).

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 10:55 AM
The most annoying is the phone changing "is" to "I'd". Which is the more common word? Really. Not only do I have to backspace once for the wrong letter, I have to go back three for the apostrophe and the capital "I".

Ridiculous.

Man, I know what you mean. I have to re-read my whole entire txt of what ever I wrote to make sure everything is right.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 10:57 AM
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary

(Looking on a 3.0 phone though, so not 100% sure it is the same on 2.x).

Not running 3.0, just checked it out, it's the same sequence as you said.

Thnx.
But it will be great it the auto-correct would be freakin fixed !!!!!!

sd2009
Jun 5, 2009, 10:59 AM
iPhone Autocorrect works just fine unlesss u typ lyk dis :rolleyes:

wwooden
Jun 5, 2009, 11:00 AM
Before I upgraded to 3.0, when I typed "i" then "m", it would change it to "I'm". Now it changes it to "IM" which is really annoying. Maybe I'll try resetting my dictionary to see if that help.s

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 11:03 AM
iPhone Autocorrect works just fine unlesss u typ lyk dis :rolleyes:

That's good for you, you deserve a prize. :cool:

gloss
Jun 5, 2009, 11:04 AM
*snip*

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 11:05 AM
Before I upgraded to 3.0, when I typed "i" then "m", it would change it to "I'm". Now it changes it to "IM" which is really annoying. Maybe I'll try resetting my dictionary to see if that help.s

Now that sucks, I thought apple would of worked on auto-correct on FW/OS 3.0 yet again it's still a beta.

StuddedLeather
Jun 5, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hopefully we can add words to the phones dictionary!

gloss
Jun 5, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hopefully we can add words to the phones dictionary!

You already can. Type the word enough times, cancel any correction suggestions, and the dictionary will learn the word after three or four times.

Of course, if you mean that hopefully you can add words to the dictionary manually, then yes, I agree. I'd like to be able to edit the dictionary so we can add/remove words without wiping the whole thing.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 11:30 AM
You already can. Type the word enough times, cancel any correction suggestions, and the dictionary will learn the word after three or four times.

Of course, if you mean that hopefully you can add words to the dictionary manually, then yes, I agree. I'd like to be able to edit the dictionary so we can add/remove words without wiping the whole thing.

+1, I added a few words before. It take a while for the iPhone to reconize it. But a list of words that were saved will be great, and I agree with you about the editing part. That we be so much helpful.

rarity
Jun 5, 2009, 11:32 AM
I decided to turn mine off today. It doesn't learn some words ever. Most annoying is w to a and is to i'd. Also its to it's. The apostrophe isn't needed all the time!

JML42691
Jun 5, 2009, 11:38 AM

Ridiculous.
This is by far one of my biggest complaints regarding typing on an iPhone or iPod, do they really think that people use "I'd" more than "is"? And there needs to be a manual way to enter into the dictionary.

Another big complaint is changing of very common names. The one that I notice the most is "Ed," by typing this name the phone suggests changing it to "We." I have encountered this one way too often, and the phone seems to refuse to adjust the dictionary on that one.

seanofthedead
Jun 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm actually surprised at how well my iPhone cleaned up my texts while I was still getting used to the whole "touchscreen keyboard" shortly after I bought it. The most impressive to me is when it capitalizes certain names or people, places, companies, etc. Only gripe I have in that regard is that it capitalizes Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc., yet it doesn't capitalize Chevrolet or Ford?

Besides that, it works wonders. Plus I swear a LOT when I text (i'm 19, leave me alone) so I'm surprised that it picked up all of my "naughty" words.

hitman45400
Jun 5, 2009, 11:43 AM
everytime i type 'lol' it comes out 'LOL' and makes me look like a douche. no one caps 'LOL' unless it's that funny.

i cancel the spell check and type it 'lol' but nother happens =[

gloss
Jun 5, 2009, 11:59 AM
Only gripe I have in that regard is that it capitalizes Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc., yet it doesn't capitalize Chevrolet or Ford?

*nix*

kwyn
Jun 5, 2009, 12:02 PM
everytime i type 'lol' it comes out 'LOL' and makes me look like a douche. =[

Maybe the spell checker is smarter than we originally thought:D:p

Just kidding!

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 12:15 PM
everytime i type 'lol' it comes out 'LOL' and makes me look like a douche. no one caps 'LOL' unless it's that funny.

I got use to the caps lol.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
Maybe the spell checker is smarter than we originally thought:D:p

Just kidding!

:rolleyes:

The General
Jun 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
The auto-correct is what makes the iPhone's keyboard usable. Without it, the keyboard is impossible to type on. If you are having problems with it, then you aren't using it correctly.

Just type, let it do its thing. Once in a while it will do something you don't want, but that's a lot easier than fixing the millions of typos made when auto-correct is off.

The "LOL" thing doesn't happen to me. It might be a fix in 3.0. I also have a contact that fixes other annoyances like swear words. No, I'm not "ducking" kidding. Just make a contact called whatever you want, and in the Company section just put all the words that you don't want it to auto-correct, separated by spaces. I put every swear word I can think of, I put "lol", and I put some other stuff, like lowercase names, "its" (because I'm okay with leaving out an apostrophe, but I never want an extraneous one), and other stuff like that.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm actually surprised at how well my iPhone cleaned up my texts while I was still getting used to the whole "touchscreen keyboard" shortly after I bought it. The most impressive to me is when it capitalizes certain names or people, places, companies, etc. Only gripe I have in that regard is that it capitalizes Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc., yet it doesn't capitalize Chevrolet or Ford?

Besides that, it works wonders. Plus I swear a LOT when I text (i'm 19, leave me alone) so I'm surprised that it picked up all of my "naughty" words.

Well for the most part it works good but then the small words the iPhone just becomes stupid. As for companies and so on for the begining letter it's a plain just to go back and fix each one.

This is by far one of my biggest complaints regarding typing on an iPhone or iPod, do they really think that people use "I'd" more than "is"? And there needs to be a manual way to enter into the dictionary.

Another big complaint is changing of very common names. The one that I notice the most is "Ed," by typing this name the phone suggests changing it to "We." I have encountered this one way too often, and the phone seems to refuse to adjust the dictionary on that one.

I agreed with you, this is suppose to be a smart phone not some piece if ******.

jake36wi41
Jun 5, 2009, 12:28 PM

Pretty sure it's the typing of "lol" in the first place that makes you look like a douche... (ha, sorry, someone had to :p )

abijnk
Jun 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
Like The General said, you've really got to just let it do its own thing. When I used to try and babysit it all the time the dictionary started learning off the wall things and doing stupid stuff (like correcting 'is' and stuff like others have said) but when you just let it do it thing it really is useful. I actually find myself wishing apple would implement it on my computer. :o

The General
Jun 5, 2009, 12:36 PM
I actually find myself wishing apple would implement it on my computer. :o

There was a video a while back showing Snow Leopard doing just that. I can't find it though, so you'll just have to just take my word for it. :D

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
Like The General said, you've really got to just let it do its own thing. When I used to try and babysit it all the time the dictionary started learning off the wall things and doing stupid stuff (like correcting 'is' and stuff like others have said) but when you just let it do it thing it really is useful. I actually find myself wishing apple would implement it on my computer. :o

it takes time for the iPhone to learn. But it will be helpful if we can view the list and edit it. Acutually when u time slow the auto-correct on the iPhone will perfectly, but it's a pain when your typing a quick MSG. As for the mac with auto-correct just use spell check trust me spell check, the auto-correct feature on any phone is great to use but of it was on a pc or mac it will getting annoying since you will have to let the pc or mac learn the spelling or the word.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 12:39 PM
There was a video a while back showing Snow Leopard doing just that. I can't find it though, so you'll just have to just take my word for it. :D

I'll get annoyed with that feature, but if it will work as a therausus then I think it will be great. But if it's only for spelling then i'll get annoyed.

instaxgirl
Jun 5, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hmm I'd also like a bit of manual control over the dictionary. I'd get rid of 'fir' straight off. Why on earth did someone thing fir was a more common word that what I've actually misspelt - 'for'. It's so ducking annoying ;)

Also, why of all the bad words I use will it not get over its obsession with duck? Annoying + the LOL thing. Urgh

The General
Jun 5, 2009, 01:40 PM
Only gripe I have in that regard is that it capitalizes Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc., yet it doesn't capitalize Chevrolet or Ford?

Well that's simple, it's obviously because American cars suck. :cool:

Actually, mine auto-corrects Chevrolet and Chrysler, just not Ford, Dodge, Mercury, Jeep, Tesla, Scion, Lamborghini, Maserati...

It auto-corrects Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Acura, Hyundai, Kia, Ferrari, Saturn, Pontiac, Aston Martin...

I'm all out of car names.

Roessnakhan
Jun 5, 2009, 01:43 PM
The auto correct feature can make me ducking mad sometimes.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 01:46 PM
Well that's simple, it's obviously because American cars suck. :cool:

+1, American cars suck!
Volkswagon CC!!!!

sd2009
Jun 5, 2009, 02:14 PM
That's good for you, you deserve a prize. :cool:Hey at least I didn't make a stupid thread about it :)

If you type texts like a retard then the iPhone isn't for you anyway.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hey at least I didn't make a stupid thread about it :)

If you type texts like a retard then the iPhone isn't for you anyway.

So if it was so stupid to you why did you post a response to it?:cool:

bjquach
Jun 5, 2009, 05:15 PM
Worst is when you type a curse word like ****** and it comes out to shot.

alphatectz
Jun 5, 2009, 05:42 PM
Worst is when you type a curse word like ****** and it comes out to shot.

that's so freaking true!!!!!!!