PDA

View Full Version : CBS Outdoor to Allow iPhone Users to Interact With Digital Advertising Signs

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/05/cbs-outdoor-to-allow-iphone-users-to-interact-with-digital-advertising-signs/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/05/130452-iphone_ad_kiosk.jpeg

Campaign reports (http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/911190/Consumers-creative-control-digital-posters-new-iPhone-platform/) (via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/05/iphone-owners-get-control-of-digital-signage/)) that CBS Outdoor, the outdoor advertising arm of CBS, is launching a new advertising platform that will allow iPhone users to interact with and manipulate digital advertising signage. The platform will be launched on LCD advertising screens such as those commonly seen in malls and other shopping centers.By swiping in either direction on the iPhone's touchscreen, users can make the object in the digital poster spin to the left or right, and users can also make the display change colour.

Also by using the "pinch" and "stretch" finger gestures on the iPhone, consumers will be able to zoom in or out of the object displayed on the screen.Users will be able to connect to the digital signage via Wi-Fi or 3G and then interact with the displayed images.

Article Link: CBS Outdoor to Allow iPhone Users to Interact With Digital Advertising Signs (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/05/cbs-outdoor-to-allow-iphone-users-to-interact-with-digital-advertising-signs/)

theheadguy
Jun 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
Now this is cool! Reminds me of Minority Report!

danielchow
Jun 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
actually, i think this might work.

for example, the advertisement could show off a product and offering the potential buyer a virtual shelf of suggested accessories. the hooked consumer approaches the interactive advertisement with his/her iphone and begins manipulating the different suggested accessories to mix and match with the product. when she/he is quite satisfied with the combination, the interactive advertisement either e-mail or display the stores that are carrying the items. it sure beats roaming about aimlessly trying to find something. i think this could make some spouses happy because they don't have to be drag from one store to another trying to find something to match.

in this example, the advertisement provider can have multiple advertisers for one ad space.

ooo, i should patent this concept!

JBRU
Jun 5, 2009, 12:55 PM
Technology hacked to display pr0n in 5 ... 4 .... 3 ....

medicrx
Jun 5, 2009, 01:00 PM
epic fail

kingtj
Jun 5, 2009, 01:14 PM
If they just go the "mindless" route, and do this for random product ads in the shopping malls, then yeah - it's another "epic fail".

You know where I think it could really work well though? Set this up in the home improvement warehouses and paint stores, so a person can experiment with different shades of paint in sample rooms of a house or office. Let them change trim colors, wall paint colors, and try different paint colors for the ceiling than the wall. Use the iPhone as the remote control for it, but use the big display screen to view the results. Then, let the user save the selected paint types/codes on their iPhone so they can remember exactly what they need when they go to buy the paint, or have it mixed. Even let them save a copy of the sample image(s) of the rooms so they can take them home to show someone else before buying. Beats the whole rack of paint chips on the little cardboard cards by a mile!

actually, i think this might work.

for example, the advertisement could show off a product and offering the potential buyer a virtual shelf of suggested accessories. the hooked consumer approaches the interactive advertisement with his/her iphone and begins manipulating the different suggested accessories to mix and match with the product. when she/he is quite satisfied with the combination, the interactive advertisement either e-mail or display the stores that are carrying the items. it sure beats roaming about aimlessly trying to find something. i think this could make some spouses happy because they don't have to be drag from one store to another trying to find something to match.

in this example, the advertisement provider can have multiple advertisers for one ad space.

ooo, i should patent this concept!

theheadguy
Jun 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
epic fail
nice... first time i've seen that on a message board.

RoboCop001
Jun 5, 2009, 01:42 PM

I'm using your own quote to talk to you! Bwahahahahaha!

autrefois
Jun 5, 2009, 01:43 PM
By swiping in either direction on the iPhone's touchscreen, users can make the object in the digital poster spin to the left or right, and users can also make the display change colour.

More importantly, can you turn the ad off?

The technology is great, but I'm very tired of being bombarded by advertising everywhere, especially while shopping: on a TV while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, over the intercom while you're shopping. There are even coupon holders now that talk to you when you walk by. I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

You know where I think it could really work well though? Set this up in the home improvement warehouses and paint stores, so a person can experiment with different shades of paint in sample rooms of a house or office.

Now that's a useful idea for this type of technology. They could do it for all sorts of things, not just home improvement. Allowing the customer to see different options, different brands, etc. for the type of product they're looking for. Instead of having it be advertising, make it a service: a kind of big catalogue for customers to look at, either set up by the store or by the companies.

tropic10
Jun 5, 2009, 01:44 PM
"John Anderton! You could use a Guiness right about now."

leandromp
Jun 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
Cool idea. Sometimes your at the mall in a hurry and you see something on this kinds of screens and you wish you could stop and see the product. Now, you can just look at it in your phone. Love the idea.

Cartoonkid
Jun 5, 2009, 02:02 PM

The technology is great, but I'm very tired of being bombarded by advertising everywhere, especially while shopping: on a TV while you're waiting to pay for your groceries, over the intercom while you're shopping. There are even coupon holders now that talk to you when you walk by. I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

+1!

Besides, unless they're going to offer iPhone owners better pricing than non-iPhone owners, why would I waste my precious battery life on a stupid advertisement??

iMacoo7
Jun 5, 2009, 02:13 PM
This would be awesome.
Only problem would be if there are others flocking to the same screen and trying to manipulate it at once.
Wonder if they will do like picture in picture for the device which would be kind of awesome and allowing up to 4 extra people to manipulate a window all at the same time.

SFStateStudent
Jun 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
I want to see a picture of myself and 300 other iPhone owners surrounding one digital advertising sign at the same time..... lol :D:D:D

mikeinternet
Jun 5, 2009, 02:59 PM
My bro works for a company that did some sort of game on a billboard in times square. It was for bank of america and it was played using cell phones.

I wish I had more details. I need to ask him about it.

Tilpots
Jun 5, 2009, 03:12 PM
I may sound like a grumpy not-so-old man, but it would be nice to be able to shop in peace sometimes.

Try shopping on the internet.;) As for grocery stores, many have call ahead services which let you just pickup the items you've phoned in.

Being able to turn off outdoor signage is kinda point less for the advertiser.

Cartoonkid
Jun 5, 2009, 03:35 PM
Being able to turn off outdoor signage is kinda point less for the advertiser.

True, but if that was an app, imagine how well it would sell! :D

JuBe
Jun 5, 2009, 03:54 PM
I want to see a picture of myself and 300 other iPhone owners surrounding one digital advertising sign at the same time..... lol :D:D:D

Yeah, I don't understand how this can work if multiple people want to control this? I feel like whatever it is, would just be more easily viewed on the iPhone than on a screen you can walk by on. I feel like the only use would really be to entertain kids with a multiplayer kind of game.

Xibalba
Jun 5, 2009, 05:46 PM
well this is useless........................

agree, but in the world of advertising useless still means possible PR when people talk about such interactions and then view the products being advertised...complete advertising stunt...

iceman1234
Jun 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
will this type of stuff be exclusive to the iphone? can this be done on an itouch?

skeep5
Jun 5, 2009, 07:23 PM
would i have to wait in line for my turn to 'interact' with the commercial? I have better things to do!

amd4me
Jun 5, 2009, 09:12 PM
Now this is cool! Reminds me of Minority Report!

Me too. Thank god I dont have some random Japanese guys eyes.

Bubba Satori
Jun 5, 2009, 10:11 PM
"Consume mass quantities."

iPhoneNYC
Jun 5, 2009, 10:35 PM
But can I make the girl in the photo turn towards me by using my iPhone?

Doctor Q
Jun 5, 2009, 11:02 PM
Westfield shopping centers, eh? I know of few of them, so I'll be watching for this. It'll be a good way to find out who around you has an iPhone!

TimDaddy
Jun 6, 2009, 02:12 AM
So, will you need to download an application for this? Will you open a window in safari? I still don't even know how this will work. It seems like it will be a "neat-o" type thingy the first few times you show your wife and kids what you can do with your phone, then, oh well.

JCastro
Jun 6, 2009, 07:46 AM
I think it has some cool possibilities. The final outcome with depend on how it is actually employed.

Imagine uploading and image of yourself then being able to put the clothes that are being advertised on the picture. Or going to a hardware store and uploading a picture of your house and pasting different paint samples on it to see what it might look like.

Just being able to walk up and move a pair of shoes around on the screen seems more like a novelty and will wear off quickly.

sg.hill
Jun 7, 2009, 11:13 AM

You're definitely not alone with this opinion, but these ads you see and hear in the grocery store are effectively subsidizing the products and services you buy. Perhaps there is a market for higher-priced groceries in a no-ads store. For such a short thread, quite a few excellent ideas utilizing this technology in different scenarios have been brought to light.

Personally, I'm not paying more for strawberries just to avoid some ads. What's truly disappointing to me is how broad they still are. I am interested in looking at an ad for a DDR3 sale. I couldn't care less about the local nail salon. Of course, the privacy/targeted-ads debate is an entirely different one.

On topic, I like the idea of these interactive ads. The shoe thing isn't intriguing in the least, but they do have the potential to be very helpful in a wide variety of retailers.

autrefois
Jun 8, 2009, 01:48 AM
You're definitely not alone with this opinion, but these ads you see and hear in the grocery store are effectively subsidizing the products and services you buy. Perhaps there is a market for higher-priced groceries in a no-ads store. [...] Personally, I'm not paying more for strawberries just to avoid some ads.

I understand your point of view, but you're not going to convince me that Wal-Mart, Target, and the like need more advertising money to keep prices low. Wal-Mart's profits are up, they're bombarding people with more ads, and they're installing self-checkouts (which means reducing employees and/or hours). So I'm not going to buy into the argument that stores are doing it just to keep prices low; they're not going to lower prices if they put these machines up, just as I'm not aware of stores lowering prices once the in-store ads intensified in recent years. They're just putting up more ads to make more profit.

But back to the technology, as I said before I think it's a great idea and a great innovation. I just think there might be better uses for it than just another way of advertising.

Vulpinemac
Jun 8, 2009, 08:38 AM
... If it CAN be abused, it WILL be abused.

sg.hill
Jun 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
...So I'm not going to buy into the argument that stores are doing it just to keep prices low; they're not going to lower prices if they put these machines up, just as I'm not aware of stores lowering prices once the in-store ads intensified in recent years. They're just putting up more ads to make more profit.

Profits are exactly the game retailers are in. I'm not suggesting prices will fall with increased advertising. What we see is a slower increase in prices of the things you buy when supplemented with increased advertising revenue. Obviously, this cannot be proven as we don't have the benefit of seeing what would happen to prices without more ads.

The issue really lies with inflation. "Healthy" inflation is typically 2-4%, as the consensus seems to be 0% inflation causes a contracting economy. Some countries (generally in Europe) explicitly state their inflation goals - a policy current US FED Chairman Bernanke seemed to be in favor of in a 2003 speech (http://www.federalreserve.gov/Boarddocs/Speeches/2003/20030325/default.htm) (before he was chairman). While it's true economies of scale bring down the prices of highly automated products, many (most?) of the goods you'll find in Target and WalMart are generally created in environments that are much more labor-intensive than capital-intensive. Even the most exploited nations have marginal wage increases; couple this with ever-increasing materials costs and you have products that continuously cost retailers more to resell and yield lower profits.

Or at least this is why I'm choosing to believe ads are everywhere.

But back to the technology, as I said before I think it's a great idea and a great innovation. I just think there might be better uses for it than just another way of advertising.

Doesn't it seem that advertising is usually one of the first industries to adopt new technologies?

Although the above may indicate otherwise, I'm in agreement with you. It'd be nice to not have as many ads. Truth be told, I think there are too many ads to be effective.

sebimeyer
Jun 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
agree, but in the world of advertising useless still means possible PR when people talk about such interactions and then view the products being advertised...complete advertising stunt...

Well, it IS advertising. :)

Doctor Q
Jun 9, 2009, 08:37 PM
Ads are everywhere, so it's very hard for any one ad to compete for your attention. This seems like a rather expensive way to stand out from the bunch, but it might pay off by grabbing way more than it's share of our attention. Unless of course these ads becomes ubiquitous!

voicegy
Jun 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
Westfield shopping centers, eh? I know of few of them, so I'll be watching for this. It'll be a good way to find out who around you has an iPhone!

Just a few of them? My good doctor, Westfield OWNS every mall in San Diego, so I'm sure to see this thing pop up soon, probably in the more "upscale" popular malls first.

I used to have fun looking out for other iPhone users - back in the old days it felt like being in an odd little club, especially during the first month release. Now everyone around me has an iPhone, and it's amazing to see - I won't need an ad display board to find that out.

kjl451
Jun 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
It's all Minority Report. wow

PhixionFilms
Jun 14, 2009, 12:10 AM
Wow what a great marketing scheme.

CarlyLyon
Jul 2, 2009, 09:56 PM
scary and exciting at the same time when is this hapenning?

aldismiller
Jul 26, 2012, 04:50 AM
These advertisement are great in itself and can draw the attention of many people at one time but such technological advancement makes them more attractive and special.