Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Some of you may recall that I needed to get the focusing screen in my XSi cleaned and planned to do so once I reached Europe. Well, I just got it back from the repair shop today.

The first thing I noticed was that there were tiny black specks all over the "cleaned" screen. Then I discovered that some of the autofocus points were not working. Lastly, I realized that it isn't even the right focusing screen! Instead of the stock diamond-shaped arrangement of 9 AF points (with a circle around the central one like this), it now has a screen with 7 AF points in a cross-like formation. Only four of those points light up and work. Incredible! And this is from a certified Canon repair shop. They're now closed and will not be open again until after the weekend, so I'm stuck with this alien focusing screen until then, and I'm really hoping they make everything right on Monday.

So which screen did they give me? Which Canon camera has 7 AF points in a cross-shaped formation (with no circle around the central point)?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yeah, thanks. Just got the answer in another forum. Such a bummer. I'm going to Treviso tomorrow and will be taking pictures. It will be really distracting to have to use this screen. I can only marvel at the gross negligence it takes to insert the wrong screen and then not test the camera to make sure everything is right.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
I just literally saw your post on the other forum!

Unbelievable, I'd be having gentle but persuasive words, although there shouldn't be to much in a problem at only losing two points though? Admittedly you said some weren't working (which is even more ridiculous!)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just literally saw your post on the other forum!

Unbelievable, I'd be having gentle but persuasive words, although there shouldn't be to much in a problem at only losing two points though? Admittedly you said some weren't working (which is even more ridiculous!)

Honestly, I almost exclusively use the central point, but just looking through and seeing those black specks and foreign formation of points is very distracting. :mad:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Are the specks just like dust? I had a similar problem with my viewfinder and blowing the viewfinder prism out removed them. Might make it more usable.

No, it's not dust. I brought the camera in to have dust and a black hair-like speck removed. The dust looked like grey fuzz, the black hair-like thing was crisp and completely black. These specks look like 20 little black pinholes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.