PDA

View Full Version : Best Software to Rip DVDs?

simX
May 10, 2004, 03:07 AM
What are people's experiences with DVD-ripping software? I have a DVD that was made for me using footage from a video camera, and I want to rip the DVD into a QuickTime-friendly movie file. It's a DVD+R, too, which seems to complicate things a bit.

I've tried forty-two, which doesn't work too well (the qDVD option doesn't work for some reason, and neither does the regular DVD option -- and I don't want to make an AVI file that isn't QuickTime friendly, since most aren't). I also tried DVDxDV, but that's a trial version and pastes a watermark on any video you export (plus it has a poor UI and doesn't seem to create great movie files). I haven't found any other software that's suitable for ripping DVDs and not just copying them.

Any ideas?

neoelectronaut
May 10, 2004, 02:00 PM
Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/)

jeremy.king
May 10, 2004, 02:18 PM
DVDBackup (http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/DVDbackup.html)

I just re-read this and I think you are looking to rip and then convert. Handbrake seems to do both but DVDBackup will rip just fine, I don't think it will convert to quicktime however.

BrianKonarsMac
May 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
Handbrake is the way to go.

DVDBackup will just remove the encryption and place a copy on your HD, which can then be burnt to a DVD (or compressed and then burnt).

Handbrake of Forty Two are your best bets. Forty Two worked flawless for me, but you claim to experience difficulty. Handbrake has gotten rave reviews, but I haven't tried it, so I'd give that a go.

i may be mistaken, but i thought 0Sex had an option to rip dvd's into one large MP4...or maybe that was Forty Two.

Horrortaxi
May 10, 2004, 03:51 PM
Isn't there something called 0S X? I haven't used it but I think you feed it a video ts folder and it gives you a .mov.

krimson
May 10, 2004, 04:35 PM
i'd go with OSeX, i think it's still freeware..

simX
May 10, 2004, 07:14 PM
Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/)

Handbrake worked perfectly for me. It's also a nice Mac OS X application -- drag and drop install, nice icon, and it actually has a useful UI. Simple, elegant, useful. Thanks for the recommendation!

neoelectronaut
May 10, 2004, 07:37 PM
Handbrake worked perfectly for me. It's also a nice Mac OS X application -- drag and drop install, nice icon, and it actually has a useful UI. Simple, elegant, useful. Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad to be of help. :)

Riot_Mac
May 10, 2004, 08:59 PM
dvdbackup and then dvd2oneX and then toast to burn it to a dvd.

BrianKonarsMac
May 10, 2004, 10:24 PM
dvdbackup and then dvd2oneX and then toast to burn it to a dvd. or you could use a program called DVDRemaster which was designed on the OS X platform, and is cheaper. i have nothing to do with them, i just believe in supporting os x developers, not porters of old versions of pc software at twice the price. DVD2OneX reached as high as $70, after DVDRemaster came out it dropped back to $35 to be competitive. It's really a personal choice, but I've had nothing but success with DVDRemaster.

also, toast is quite expensive if you don't already own it, and the extra functionality isn't necessary. DVDImager is freeware, and will instantly create an img file for you. Go to Disk Utility, the Images menu, and Burn!

abhishekit
May 10, 2004, 10:28 PM
I use OSeX, yes its still free. And it works very well.