PDA

View Full Version : Scratch disk: ExpressCard SSD VS FW800 RAID 0 HDD?

lyl
Jun 5, 2009, 02:07 PM
im using a uMBP
which one is better?

dmmcintyre3
Jun 5, 2009, 02:30 PM
im using a uMBP
which one is better?

Esata for the HD. Just get a express card controler.

lyl
Jun 5, 2009, 02:45 PM
i got the expresscard>eSATA for my HDD as well
but it seems that the expresscard port in MBP is not that reliable

nyzwerewolf
Jun 7, 2009, 05:32 PM
which expresscard>eSATA are you using? I like this idea. I never thought of it. Any idea if the expresscard supports 3.0Gbps or 1.5Gbps? If the expresscard supports 3.0Gbps, I wonder if my 2007 June MacBook Pro supports 3.0Gbps through expresscard. I know it does not support 3.0Gbps via it's chipset.

CaptainChunk
Jun 7, 2009, 07:25 PM
i got the expresscard>eSATA for my HDD as well
but it seems that the expresscard port in MBP is not that reliable

Funny, I never have problems with my ExpressCard slot. I have FW800, eSATA and DuelAdapter (ExpressCard to PCMCIA) cards. :confused:

lyl
Jun 7, 2009, 08:24 PM
which expresscard>eSATA are you using? I like this idea. I never thought of it. Any idea if the expresscard supports 3.0Gbps or 1.5Gbps? If the expresscard supports 3.0Gbps, I wonder if my 2007 June MacBook Pro supports 3.0Gbps through expresscard. I know it does not support 3.0Gbps via it's chipset.

I think it should be 1.5Gbps

CaptainChunk
Jun 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
I believe the maximum throughput of an ExpressCard is 2.5Gb/s in PCI Express mode.

Zeos
Jun 9, 2009, 08:31 PM
My MBP (Leopard) suddenly stopped seeing my ExpressCard to PCMCIA DuelAdapter. Any ideas??

Funny, I never have problems with my ExpressCard slot. I have FW800, eSATA and DuelAdapter (ExpressCard to PCMCIA) cards. :confused:

CaptainChunk
Jun 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
My MBP (Leopard) suddenly stopped seeing my ExpressCard to PCMCIA DuelAdapter. Any ideas??

There's a known problem with the DuelAdapter that when you remove one and reinsert it, it might not show back up on the PCIe bus until you reboot. That usually does the trick for me whenever it does happen. Duel claims that this a problem with OS X and not the card, but yet, none of my other ExpressCards behave this way...

One design element that I've always hated about this adapter is that the cable that runs between the ExpressCard part and the PCMCIA module is not very flexible and because of that, the card can become unplugged from the EC slot relatively easily.