Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
I have not as yet really tested out the full gaming potential of my powerbook's graphics card but am hoping to get some games like 007 nightfire to test it out. I was just wondering whether this pb would be able to be upgarded to the ATI Radeon 9700 with 128 mb of vram. Just a thought...

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I have not as yet really tested out the full gaming potential of my powerbook's graphics card but am hoping to get some games like 007 nightfire to test it out. I was just wondering whether this pb would be able to be upgarded to the ATI Radeon 9700 with 128 mb of vram. Just a thought...

Sorry, but all laptops use a graphics card soldered to the motherboard, so unless you replace the logic board, no.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm not intending on doing this but in theory if I did get a new motherboard then replace the graphics card with a new one then would that work or would it just catch fire?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I'm not intending on doing this but in theory if I did get a new motherboard then replace the graphics card with a new one then would that work or would it just catch fire?
You wouldn't be able to replace the "graphics card" since there isn't a card to speak of. The GPU is soldered to the mainboard, and cannot be replaced by-hand.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Depends on how mad your soldering skills are!!

The simple answer is NO.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
ok thanks everyone for replying. I was wondering if it was possible just because of all the soldering and such and would be a great achievement and I would feel a great sense of induviduality and sheer awesomeness that a powerbook could complete such a task!

Pommy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Sorry, but all laptops use a graphics card soldered to the motherboard, so unless you replace the logic board, no.

Actually, MXM laptops have upgradable vid cards but it's still a pain in the ass to 1) find another compatible MXM card and 2) install it. You usually see em in "gaming" laptops (like Sagers, etc)

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Actually, MXM laptops have upgradable vid cards but it's still a pain in the ass to 1) find another compatible MXM card and 2) install it. You usually see em in "gaming" laptops (like Sagers, etc)

The NP9280 uses that stuff from what I can see, and it isn't really a laptop. Even Sager says that it is a "desktop replacement."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.