Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyblu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
After hours searching and experimentation, it seems to date there is no definitive answer to ensure the connection of an Xbox360 via ethernet, to Mac, to share Mac wireless internet dongle.

From reading, seems many report Apple not so forthcoming to resolve issues. (Possibly a delicate area between MS and Apple re possibly effecting sales of premium price MS wireless dongles maybe??!!..)

Seems many people connected first time following suggestions on the web, and, at same time, a lot more did not, with another solution around the corner, success for few, holding same many not able to connect still.

Small issues crop up such as, disable firewall in security, and one found here re little snitch permissions to allow airport, giving success for a couple with airport, yet not for many after with same.

Maybe for some there are still small apps possibly conflicting with process?...

Would it be too much to ask those clever enough to analyse and reverse engineer the whole core process (as is a process just like any other, and surely can be given a definitive solution/ answer??!!...) seems a large untapped area, waiting for someone to take the crown with definitive answer!...

Reversing, regarding what is outside, i.e. what Xbox Live requires which the Mac is not providing, (But which it has the capability of providing if areas covered...).

The big issue with the majority, is regarding Xbox connecting to web, Xbox stating DNS issue (Domain Name System).

The Xbox Connection Tester shows that there is no problem for Xbox connecting through Mac via Ethernet, so no conflict with machine ID, then the gateway IP being that of the Mac, so then accesses the dongle?.. and would I be right in assuming it then has internal working communication with the dongle, looking out to resolve DNS?...

Looking back at what I said about the issue re firewall, snitch etc.., I realise that same DNS message will be thrown up from Xbox, and is possibly a primitive message which can hide a myriad of issues behind it. The Xbox DNS message maybe tells you nothing, it needs someone with core knowledge to understand what is required between the connection of Mac and Xbox, and what causes confliction.

For the intelligent one, can you draw a picture of the unbreakable data connection from the Xbox360, to the Mac via Ethernet, through the Mac dongle wireless internet, to Xbox Live?...
(Which is possible but currently not enclosed entirely as a subject by anybody).

If someone solves it 'ENTIRELY' you will have the Holy Grail of a blog!!! (Maybe stick ads in to potentially make lots of money for effort.
It has to be possible, right? - 00001111

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
MacBook;
Turned it on, checked emails, went to preferences and enabled (airport) internet sharing via ethernet.
Plugged in ethernet cable.

Xbox 360;
Plugged ethernet cable in. Put in the IP (1.2) and the DNS and internet gateway (the routers IP). I played online.

skyblu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
OK vid no go.
Went through all to letter.
It lost me early when on system info and hardware IP for router, as dongle wont show.. (yet know where same info required is..). Still no joy.

Where did you two get your Router IP address from?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Not sure what you mean.

Router ip address came from setting, network connections, airport, tcp/ip and it listed under router. (I think this where it is as I'm on my phone). If it is not listed what's the make of your router? Google it to get the ip address.

If you mean external ip address then google what's my ip. One of the links will tell you. I would post a link but no copy and paste!!!:rolleyes:

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I guess when you say a dongle you mean a USB airport card thingy?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If you don't know the routers IP type in ifconfig in Terminal.

DNS, internet gateway was all the routers IP (in my case, 192.168.0.1).

skyblu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
OK well I got it to connect to LIVE using a different method.
However, I now have a different problem.
First I'll explain what worked for me;
Ethernet to auto in network prefs, turn off little snitch, turn off firewall in security prefs, turn off other firewall (netbarrier for me), set internet sharing as stated before, then on the xbox network settings,
ip: 192.168.2.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS primary: 68.105.28.11
DNS secondary: 68.105.29.11

restart the xbox and connect.

Problem I now have is that I have a 'strict NAT' ie need to clear up data flow between xbox and net. I am trying this with a ZTE MF627 dongle with sim in which has no router home page, I know the router ip but no page for it when placed in address bar, so I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to set as suggestions show to sort NAT with uPnP, DMZ, port forwarding etc.. so now trying to see if theres any way possible to get the dataflow clear when there is no router home page...

EDIT: Just found out it is not possible with my 'mobile broadband' dongle, as that technology is just basically web and email, ie ports for gaming etc.. are cut off and not possible to open. Oh well, was worth a try. (Obviously will not be the issue for anyone with normal wireless dongle wifi, ie not 'mobile internet, 3g etc..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.