PDA

View Full Version : Transferring HD from MacBook Pro to Powerbook?

csacred
Jun 6, 2009, 02:35 AM
Hello everyone, I have 2 laptops and 2 questions!
One is a one year old MacBook Pro (2.66 intel duo) with 200GB HD, OSX Leopard and lots of data I need to transfer to my second laptop (a Powerbook G4 PowerPC 1.67 with OSX Tiger and a 100GB)
I am planning on upgrading my MacBook Pro with a 500GB and moving the 200GB to my Powerbook so my question is:
If I remove the 200GB from the MacBook and install it in the Powerbook, when I turn the Powerbook on, will Leopard boot up normally with all my data available? Or will the computer ask for the HD to be formatted and will I lose all my data?
I am ready for it but I just want to make sure It will work... Thanks in advance for your feedback,
C.

Cole Slaw
Jun 6, 2009, 03:14 AM
Well I don't think you can move your MBP's hard drive to the Powerbook.
The MBP uses SATA hard drives and I believe the Powerbook would use the older IDE/ATA drive.
Different connections so I think your plan is a no-go unfortunately.

schalkse
Jun 6, 2009, 03:27 AM
The MBP uses SATA hard drives and I believe the Powerbook would use the older IDE/ATA drive.

True, besides that you have a PPC version of OS X installed. Won't work.

csacred
Jun 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks for your input.
But in general, transferring a formatted HD with an operating system and data onto a laptop would be enough to turn the computer on and use the data without having to clean erase or reformat the disk?
Thanks in advance,
C.

alphaod
Jun 7, 2009, 02:47 AM

True, besides that you have a PPC version of OS X installed. Won't work.

And your Intel HDD is formatted as GPT and PPC needs Apple Partitioning.