Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I live in Vancouver, BC Canada. Ordered few accessories from apple.ca. The items left rancho cordova california and went to Memphis Tennessee?? Why would they do this? All they needed to do was go straight up from california but instead the items went to the other side of united states during transit??

kpark42

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
I live in Vancouver, BC Canada. Ordered few accessories from apple.ca. The items left rancho cordova california and went to Memphis Tennessee?? Why would they do this? All they needed to do was go straight up from california but instead the items went to the other side of united states during transit??
It's probably because that's ultimately cost-efficient for them. If they don't have something planned for a direct delivery from the factory/warehouse to your house, it would be very inefficient for them to plan a flight just for you Macbook. Thus they ship it with other shipments which have enough "demand" to justify the transit.

Beanlok

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
It's probably because that's ultimately cost-efficient for them. If they don't have something planned for a direct delivery from the factory/warehouse to your house, it would be very inefficient for them to plan a flight just for you Macbook. Thus they ship it with other shipments which have enough "demand" to justify the transit.

+1 He's exactly right it is not inefficient shipping it's more efficient shipping.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
That's half true. Once your product leaves Apple's warehouse, it's out of their hands, and has nothing to do with their being efficient.

It does relate to the shipping company's efficiency though. They have huge sorting/routing depots, some used for domestic packages, and others for international. The one in Tenessee is for international (I think that's FedEx?), as all of my shipments from Apple have taken a circuitous route to get to me in Edmonton.

It sucks, cause it always takes at least a week to do a trip that I could drive in about a day to 1.5 days.

rugox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
That's half true. Once your product leaves Apple's warehouse, it's out of their hands, and has nothing to do with their being efficient.

It does relate to the shipping company's efficiency though. They have huge sorting/routing depots, some used for domestic packages, and others for international. The one in Tenessee is for international (I think that's FedEx?), as all of my shipments from Apple have taken a circuitous route to get to me in Edmonton.

It sucks, cause it always takes at least a week to do a trip that I could drive in about a day to 1.5 days.

I've thought it inefficient in terms of your point. Thought it may be efficient for the shipping company, it is inefficient for the customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.