Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjack88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Please help me with this decision...i have been offered a further $80 off the regular student discount price on a new 2.0 unibody macbook.
My desktop is used for gaming so the macbook will be used for typing, movies, music etc (I'd also like to use the macbook for when diablo3 comes out.)
im not too concerned about the backlit keyboard.

Will it be worth waiting untill after the WWDC for "POSSIBLE" macbook updates?
It's not essential that i have it now, but i will be wanting one by mid-july.
Does this discount warrant me buying it now?

Any suggestions?

Thanks allot

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, wait.

WWDC starts in two days. You already have a desktop. You don't really need one until July. You're using it for light weight stuff that any apple portable should be able to handle.

Hmm, let me think about my answer...

adm531

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
i'm in the same position and i am going to wait just a couple of days. theres a good chance that apple bumps up the specs on the unibody macbooks to bring them ahead of the white macbook.

I just have on question. If apple does update the macbooks, when will the new versions be released? two days? two months?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If they do bump up the chips, it will probably be immediately. After all, apple apparently does have them in stock.

If they also do that, you may find a good deal on a current 2.0 at a best buy or off of craigslist. I doubt that even Mr. Data could tell the difference between surfing the web on a 2.0 versus a 2.13...

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Similar position in term of the date i need the MBA. From what i heard through few forums , it is very unlikely they will improve the spec of any of the unibodies, the conference will be about iphone and SL. Some people say that from previous experiences, apple some times release the new lines 2 weeks after WWDC. So my advise is to wait until 1-2 weeks after the conference and if nothings comes, then buy as it won't be until after school promotion ends before anything comes.

fpar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Buy it, just don't open it. If the update happens you could always return it as long as the box is still sealed.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
Someone on this form posted this:

This is strictly a supply issue people, get over yourselves. The chip suppliers started shipping the 2.16 chip as their base model to fulfill the wMB Apple order. Why would you continue using a 2.0 chip when the supplier has 2.16 for cheaper?

Apple is waiting for the 2.0's to clear out and then they'll update them. It's been 8+ months since a spec update, I doubt Apple will wait a full year to update them.

Not to mention it's going to be tough to sell a slower computer for $300 more. it doesn't really matter if there is little "real world" difference. 90% of customers are going to see that 2.13 > 2.0 + $300 less and go with the whitebook option.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I think at WWDC Apple will change all unibody notebooks over to macbook pros. Why would they be selling a plastic low end macbook with higher specs than the higher-end unibody line? Also if it was just a spec update why not do it at the same time as the whitebook?

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
If it is what you need go for it. Don't get caught in a trap of waiting for the latest and greatest there will ALWAYS be something better.

rugox

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
There might not even be any release or update regarding the macbooks at WWDC.

c.dub

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Apple uses the back to school special to clear out back stock of current macs and ipods. I'd expect them to bump the specs after that, to encourage sales before the holiday shopping season.

This.

The focus for WWDC is Snow Leopard and the new iPhone. If they do announce any updates for the Unibody MacBook and Pro, it would come as a big surprise. Everyone always makes a big deal right before an event, then are upset Apple didn't release something they wanted.

If you need one, buy it. You have a 14 days return policy (with restocking fee at some places). It sounds like you don't actually NEED one though. Wait it out just in case, but I would say just order one. Any updates would most likely be around October (after BTS promo is done) in my opinion.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I vote for waiting. You can always buy it after WWDC. With the recent update to the white MB, I think it looks more likely the AluMB will be updated in short order. Especially since the white MB now outperforms its more costly 2GHz brethren. The longer you wait the more likely you are going to get the updated display too.

jwpoore

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Sheffield, England
wait

you may as well wait just to see what happens at the WWDC, most likely there wont be any notebook upgrades but it would be worth waiting incase apple surprises us!

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
i say get it if you need it. save some money on a great product. any form of update would be minor if anything. people keep expecting something dramatic and they are just wishing on nothing but hopes and dreams. even with the eventual speed bump - in real world performance - its neglibile at best. don't sweat it and take it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.