Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Has anyone seen this phone yet? I was about to buy the T616, when I learned it had been discontinued for the T637, which is due out "any day now." I've seen a dummy of the T637 only at this point, so I don't know if it's functionally superior to the T616. So I am wondering if I should wait for the new model or try to find the old one at a good price.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thanks, I expect it will represent some sort of improvement over the previous model, but I was really wondering whether anyone had seen and used one yet.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thanks. I take it the T637 is the US equivalent of the T630. Tough choice and even harder to make since I haven't been able to get a price from Cingular on the T637. They sell the T616 for $112.50 on their web site (24 month contract).

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I just bought a 616. The sync'ing to Address Book ... via Bluetooth is .. well .. brilliant. I used to have (still have) and Motorola StarTAC. The StarTAC had the most asinine user interface. The only way to remove phone numbers (that I can tell) is to use a suitibly sized hammer :eek:

The 616 maybe too glossy and show scratches. Time will tell.
I really like the integration into OS X. :)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
IJ Reilly said:
Thanks. I take it the T637 is the US equivalent of the T630. Tough choice and even harder to make since I haven't been able to get a price from Cingular on the T637. They sell the T616 for $112.50 on their web site (24 month contract).

That's what it is. It's not a major change of any sort. Maybe like getting a newer imac with USB 2.0 and a 20" screen instead of the previous version iwth a 17" screen and USB 1.1. But it should be out soon. Might as well wait, and see if they offer outstanding deals on "last year's" model.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm chomping on the bit to get a new phone, but no doubt I'll be better off in the long run if I can hold out for a couple more weeks. Can't wait to get my hands on that bluetooth sync!

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
The T61x was a great phone... still is in fact. The T63x is just the icing on the cake. The biggest differences you'll notice are the screen, and its responsiveness. Although the STN on the T61x was okay... it wasn't mindblowing. However, you get much better brightness and clarity on the new TFT screens of the T63x.

Of course, I'm talking about the T610 and T630, but there shouldn't really be any differences other than the frequecies supported.

I'd think you'll love it!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Now I'm also looking at the new Motorola v600, but I notice this isn't listed by Apple as an iSync supported phone. Does anyone have any experience with this phone?

robeen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
wisconsin
dunno if anyone still following this thread. from what I have read t616 has pc5 and t637 pc4 - which is supposed to be better RF (more power I think). Its a hardware think and more than just software - but interested in knowing more about this pc4/5 business if anyone knows more.

Sony Ericsson says iSync works.

I jusr ordered one for $-25 (amazon, 1yr contract....)

at last - an up to date calendar and address book!

for my 2c - the motorola charging port stinks and I want out! so no 600 for me.

Rob

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I like the T63x but I am buying a P900 or S700 when I have cash...I would still take the Z600 over the T63x or T61x anyday since its so rare,stylish&unique.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
IJ Reilly said:
I've seen a dummy of the T637 only at this point, so I don't know if it's functionally superior to the T616.
My guess is a dummy T637 is not functionally superior to the T616...but I'm certain it would compare well against my Samsung.

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
k700

tekno_geek911 said:
Nope...Currently the only 2 SE phones that can play MP3/AAC are P800/P900(P900 has stereo MP3 ringtones!)

I just ordered my SE k700 which can also play MP3. Don't know if that's available in the US though!?

Al

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Im switching service in a few weeks when my plan with att is up and going to verison. Does anybody know which phone i can get that allows me to take pics and import them to my mac?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Now I'm also looking at the new Motorola v600, but I notice this isn't listed by Apple as an iSync supported phone. Does anyone have any experience with this phone?

I just purchased the Moto v600 and use it with Cingular as my provider. I've never been a fan of the S.E.'s phones - they feel like cheap kid toys to me. You are correct - the Moto v600 is not yet supported by iSync - this is only temporary. My guess is that Apple is going to release a massive iSync update soon (WWDC?) to fill in the huge gap it currently has in cell phones.

For the time being I'm using "OnSync" - found it on version tracker after seeing it name-check in some cell forums. OnSync works with the v600 but is a bit cumbersome compared with iSync.

As far as the Moto v600 goes, it's the best phone I've ever owned - It has the works - beautiful screen, mp3 ringtones, takes great pictures (for a phone) - zoom lens. S.E.'s phones take very, very crappy pictures.

Oh yeah, speaking of pictures, I am able to transfer the photos and voice notes to the Mac just by going into Bluetooth in my network settings.

I can't get over how great this phone is. Come on Apple - please update iSync and make this phone work seamlessly

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
pinks said:
I just ordered my SE k700 which can also play MP3. Don't know if that's available in the US though!?

Al

The K700 is really nice but it only has 32MB memory and no expansion slot so its not really an MP3 player....Not sure if it has MP3 ringtones though.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
IJ Reilly said:
Now I'm also looking at the new Motorola v600...
It sounds like I'm about two months behind you, IJ. ;)

I was at our Cingular store today (I'm considering switching from Sprint) and was also eyeing the Sony Ericsson T637 and the Motorola v600 since they appear to be the only Bluetooth-enabled phones there. Did you ever decide, or are you still shopping around?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
sweet sweet phone. the RF is rock solid, thx to 850. BT is standard SE (ridicolously nice). and the casing is pretty nice in black. audio quality in and out is pretty good. this has also been an SE tradition since the T39m even.

SE T637 is a solid phone for a great price. go get it. :)

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i had the t68i and just bought the t637. from what i've read, the t637 mainly has the upgraded screen and RF over the t616...BUT, it's also the first SE phone that incorporates the talk-over-wireless feature for future use when cingular, at&t, t-mobile have this.

it's also pretty sleek in black...the memory is still only 2MB and the camera is still only .1 megapixels...there's also the ability to increase pictures to 640x480 via an interpolation process, but there's no more added information so the pictures are still terrible.

i've read that the upgraded firmware t616 is just as good, minus the newer screen, so i don't know if you'd want to spring the extra money just for the screen and a feature (talk over wireless) that isn't even available yet. but, i did...

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Ryan1524 said:
SE T637 is a solid phone for a great price. go get it. :)
Yeah, after my previous post I read elsewhere that the Motorola v600, although Bluetooth capable, doesn't really place nice with iSync yet. So that narrows the field down from two phones to this one. ;)

Does the iSync synchronization between Address Book/iCal and the T637's contacts & calendar applications work well? Sorry to pester you, it's just that none of my officemates seem to have one of the Sony-Ericsson phones for me to take a look at.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Lyle said:
Yeah, after my previous post I read elsewhere that the Motorola v600, although Bluetooth capable, doesn't really place nice with iSync yet. So that narrows the field down from two phones to this one. ;)

Does the iSync synchronization between Address Book/iCal and the T637's contacts & calendar applications work well? Sorry to pester you, it's just that none of my officemates seem to have one of the Sony-Ericsson phones for me to take a look at.

iSync works fairly well...the main problem i have with it is that it is really slow...but, with one click of a button, i can sync with .mac, my bluetooth phone, my palm, and my ipod at the same time. it's more of a convenience thing...bluetooth isn't the fastest way to transfer files and information, but it is really convenient. i actually find more use out of my phone as a remote using Romeo (or Salling clicker, though you have to pay for that)...

but, isync looks as though it will be absent in tiger, but the sync ability will be built into the OS...i imagine that there will be a way to sync our bluetooth phones straight from the OS, maybe a system pref or something...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Lyle said:

I've had the T637 for a couple of weeks now, and I'm very happy with it, though I will have to admit it's the first fully-featured phone I've owned, so I'm bound to be impressed. Bluetooth is IMO a very cool feature, and I just love to show off how nicely it integrates with the Mac. Using Salling Clicker or Romeo to control the Mac from the phone is a wonderful parlor trick. I can't wait until I get to use it in a Keynote presentation.

As has already been mentioned, Bluetooth isn't speedy, but after the first sync, that doesn't really matter, unless you make a lot of changes and need to sync every day.

You can sync phone numbers and e-mail addresses with the phone, but that's all. This is good enough for me, but I guess I won't be giving up the PDA as soon as I'd hoped. Also, the memory is limited to something on the order of 500 contacts, so if you've got a big address book, you'll want to create a group just for the mobile phone.

I don't think the phone's calendar handles multi-day events properly, or so at least I've heard. I honestly haven't checked into that myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.