PDA

View Full Version : Stinging Al PowerBook

thegivenone
May 10, 2004, 02:08 PM
Quick Question:

Does anyone else's 15-inch Al PowerBook "sting" them at the front edge of the frame? When typing and so resting my arms on the edge, the machine suddenly starts to sting me and give me an electric shock. I believe this is some kind of static electircity build-up.

Can anyone help....is it possible to get this fixed....or to stop it?

Thanks

-Ollie

applejack
May 10, 2004, 02:37 PM
Quick Question:

Does anyone else's 15-inch Al PowerBook "sting" them at the front edge of the frame? When typing and so resting my arms on the edge, the machine suddenly starts to sting me and give me an electric shock. I believe this is some kind of static electircity build-up.

Can anyone help....is it possible to get this fixed....or to stop it?

Thanks

-Ollie

I have a 1 year old 12" Albook and never experience this. Is the computer new or old?

(You wouldn't by any chance be rubbing your feet against the carpet as you type, would you..?)

Digidesign
May 10, 2004, 02:57 PM
My TiBook 550Mhz would shock/send a steady current through the case to me all the time. If you ran your palm on the case, it would feel like it's vibrating because of the elec. charge.

I called Apple about it. They said it's normal (yeah right :rolleyes:)

It stopped buzzing/shocking me after I painted the whole thing black.

jeremy.king
May 10, 2004, 03:31 PM
I don't think its just powerbooks as I have the same problem with my eMachines laptop. I figured it was because I was on carpeting and I have an electric personality :D

felix_jahn
May 10, 2004, 04:06 PM
I got a 15" Al Powerbook with 1,25 GHz; it's from the first series built and I received it in late September. For some weeks now, I have been noticing an electric current in the place where your palms rest when you type something; that is next to the trackpad on the right and left side.
You can recognize it when you let your palms glide lightly over the survace. First, it feels like the computer is vibrating, but then you discover that it is not...

This current is not always there. However, it has to do nothing with electrostatics. It gets very strong when I insert a USB cable into the left USB port and it gets EXTREMELY strong when I touch something that is grounded. Moreover, you can sometimes even detect this current when the laptop is closed and in sleep mode. Then you can feel it on the top cover (where the Apple logo is).

You can only feel the current when the A/C adaptor is plugged in.

I talked to Apple Service on the German telephone hotline and described them the problem. They had some suggestions (use the cable instead of the short plug on the white A/C adaptor, etc.), but none of them worked. So I sent my PB in (as some areas of the screen were dark...) and I hope they repaired it.

I'll know by Thursday, as I'll see my PB again that day. I think they have to get rid of this current as it is -in my opinion- highly dangerous and not in accordance with German product specification laws...

aricher
May 10, 2004, 04:40 PM
There have been other forums here and on Macnn.com regarding this issue - do a search on the word "shock," or "shocking."

thegivenone
May 11, 2004, 10:13 AM
I got a 15" Al Powerbook with 1,25 GHz; it's from the first series built and I received it in late September. For some weeks now, I have been noticing an electric current in the place where your palms rest when you type something; that is next to the trackpad on the right and left side.
You can recognize it when you let your palms glide lightly over the survace. First, it feels like the computer is vibrating, but then you discover that it is not...

This current is not always there. However, it has to do nothing with electrostatics. It gets very strong when I insert a USB cable into the left USB port and it gets EXTREMELY strong when I touch something that is grounded. Moreover, you can sometimes even detect this current when the laptop is closed and in sleep mode. Then you can feel it on the top cover (where the Apple logo is).

You can only feel the current when the A/C adaptor is plugged in.

I talked to Apple Service on the German telephone hotline and described them the problem. They had some suggestions (use the cable instead of the short plug on the white A/C adaptor, etc.), but none of them worked. So I sent my PB in (as some areas of the screen were dark...) and I hope they repaired it.

I'll know by Thursday, as I'll see my PB again that day. I think they have to get rid of this current as it is -in my opinion- highly dangerous and not in accordance with German product specification laws...

That's exactly my problem, and exactly my machine; 15-inch 1,25Ghz rev. A.

They should really do something about it in my opinion, but it's good to know the same thing is happening in the PC world :D