Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
okay...heres the setup, the basestation is upstairs..i am a floor down and maybe 20 feet away from it....the signal i get is incredibly choppy...i'm considering buying a linksys..and using the apple airport as a relay...any suggestions...anything would be appreciated...

-adel

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
That seems odd, it should get a perfect signal being so close. I'd give Apple a call and let them know.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
What's between you and the base station? Wood, metal? Thick floors? Nuclear reactor? 20 feet plus going through a floor actually is kind of a lot of work for the base station--espeically if you have it set for 802.11g.

Chances are that a base station made by anybody would have the same problem. Move what you've got around and see if it gets any better. Also make sure you're running the latest firmware, etc.

I don't know if you can use the AirPort as a relay unless you do so with another AirPort.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I get almost zero signal at a distance of about 20' and on the same floor no less. But I am going through 2 walls made of masonry over expanded metal lath, and that cuts my signal efficiency. In my last place I could go 75' or so before my signal would get this bad, but that place was standard stud wall and gyp board construction. Material makes quite a difference.

It might be time to buy an external antenna. I'm considering it....

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm not familiar with the Airport basestations, but have you tried changing the channel? On the Linksys access point in my house I had to change the channel in order to get a signal throughout the house. Otherwise, the signal was non-existent.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
its just normal stuff...wood insulation...nothing too insane...probably a few dead rodents...

any ideas would be appreciated..could it really be faulty hardware?

-adel

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Just a wild guess since I don't even have my basestation setup yet, but is there a signal strength adjustment?
I know that some wireless systems are adjustable, maybe yours adjusted itself to a lower default after the switch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.