PDA

View Full Version : PC/MAC small network to share printer.HOW?

psyopwak
May 10, 2004, 05:25 PM
I am asking all you OS X proficient guys out there; How do I do this.....?
(This question may be similar to questions asked here but I need a step by step guide since I am not a computer tech.)

I have an IMAC G3 running (OS X 10.1). I have successfully connected
to a LINKSYS wireless broadband router ( BEFW11S4) via a DSL modem
to DSL telephone line service. I am hardwired to the router.

This was done so that I could have my DELL Inspirion laptop running (Windows XP Home) talk wireless to the router in the same (home office set-up). I can connect to the internet with both computers without a problem, thus it is connected properly.

NOW here is the question. Can I setup the DELL to print documents?
I know I must get the IMAC to share the printer, but I don't know how to do that. I have a HP three way all-in-one (HP PSC 750) and it is connected to my IMAC through the USB port. It is hardwired to the IMAC.

I want ,in the end, to be able to connect to the internet using the DELL laptop or the IMAC, and also to be able to print with either computer.

Once again, I need some step by step instructions or a LINK to
a guide on how to set this up. I do not need to share any kind of files
between the two computers.

THANKS in ADVANCE
psyopwak

varmit
May 10, 2004, 09:36 PM
On the iMac: click on System Preferences (on the dock or in your Applications folder). Third line down there is Sharing, click it. Check off Printer Sharing, and maybe Windows Sharing since you might want to send files back a forth between your computers.

DONE!

Other than going to your Dell and looking for the printer your done with the iMac.

Westside guy
May 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
Another method is to buy a "print server" device, which basically lets your printer operate more or less independently from either computer. This means you don't have to have a computer powered on all the time just so people can print.

Most companies make them; here are D-Link's offerings: http://www.d-link.com/products/category.asp?cid=10

Flynnstone
May 10, 2004, 11:09 PM
Here is my solution : 10.3 Panther.
I have 10.2 at work, no problem sharing files, but no printing.
I have 10.3 at home, no problem sharing files and no problem printer sharing. My printers are connected to my PCs, a parallel HP IIIP on one and an Epson C80 colour on the other. Both PCs running Win 2000, probably doesn't matter what the PCs are running.

So the simple answer is to upgrade to 10.3.

superbovine
May 10, 2004, 11:41 PM
might search the forums. this question is ask a lot, and there is a lot of answers.

brian0526
May 13, 2004, 09:51 AM
This can be much more complicated than I would have ever guessed. I had a setup working with one printer. Then, replaced that with a more "modern" printer only to find out it would not work.

There are printer server devices (which I found cost more than I paid for my printer). I ended up finding a USB switch that allows me to connect my Windows machine and my iMac physically to the same printer. There's software to switch from machine to machine. I like this solution because it's very simple. Each machine thinks it has its own direct attached USB printer. The Windows machine can still print really, really fast (while the iMac takes its time spooling). The machines are independent (the Windows machine doesn't have to be on for me to print).

The only drawback I can see would be if different people were working on the machines because the switching is not automatic. The software is pretty good in that the icon shows you if the other machine is using the connection (only one machine at a time can). But, since this is just for me, that's not a problem.

Belkin makes a few of these switches. I found cheaper ones. But, they didn't specifically say they supported MacIntosh. Plus, they switched using a button on the switch.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Brian

kgarner
May 13, 2004, 10:22 AM
Just FYI, I had a tough time setting up an HP All-in-one (G85) for my Dad. I found a tutorial on macosxhints.com and it worked fine for an HP 932, but the Gimp-Print drivers couldn't handle the G85. I would recommend you check their site to see if they support your printer.

I also second the idea of getting a dedicated print server. That should work better and you can grow with it easier than the other way (sharing).

pjkelnhofer
May 13, 2004, 11:03 AM
I have a related (and possible stupid) question. Right now, my iMac and my fiancee's Dell are hooked up to a Router to share a cable modem (all wired). Are there printers that can simply plug into the router and thus be accessible from both computers (assume both have the proper drivers)?

brian0526
May 13, 2004, 11:12 AM
Sure you can plug a printer into your router. You have to make sure it's a network ready printer or use a print server device.

As I mentioned earlier, I really like the USB switch solution because it's very, very simple and very inexpensive (I paid less than $30 for the switch). Each machine thinks it has its own USB printer, so no need to figure out IP addresses of things or install different drivers. It's a low-tech, cheap simple solution. Not elegant. But, it works. No need to buy a network ready printer (more $$$) or a print server device (some cost more than the printer I wanted to share).

Peace,
Brian