PDA

View Full Version : airport and internet connection

matt459
May 10, 2004, 07:59 PM
once i get the airport extreme card for an ibook, and have a dsl or cable internet do i NEED to buy an airport extereme base station. i was wondering if the a-e card was compatible with a pc router sending the same signal? i dont want to spend the extra 200 dollars unless i have to. any ideas?? :confused:

JOD8FY
May 10, 2004, 08:22 PM
It should be compatible with most other wireless routers. Haven't tried it myself, but try going into Hard Drive>Applications>Utilities and play around with the Airport Administration Utility and the Airport Setup Assistant. I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth the try.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

Celeron
May 10, 2004, 08:22 PM
Yes, a wireless router from any other company will work just fine with your airport extreme card. Thats the beauty of standards.

I have a 12'' PB and it works just fine with my Linksys WRT54G access point.

the_wallcrawler
May 11, 2004, 08:30 AM
so what are the advantages/disadvantages of the airport base station?

what would be the best alternative?

Elbeano
May 11, 2004, 09:02 AM
Besides being 1st party, the airport only really has two things going for it. It has a USB port on it for a printer, so you can use it as a wireless print server. It is also 802.11g. However for 2 bills I think this is a bit on the expensive side, when as best as I can determine, it is very limited with connecting anything else. I think, but I've never been able to tell for sure since I can't find decent information on it, that it either only has one or no ethernet jacks. So.... if you wanted to hook up a desktop or a game system or something you might be out of luck if they're not wireless. Also, I'm reasonably certain that if you're not using an airport extreme card (i.e. friends or roommates with any sort of PC machine) it only operates at 802.11b speeds. Which also brings me to another point.

The only time you're ever going to be saturating the 802.11b bottleneck is if you were transferring files from one computer to another. Regular internet browsing and gaming is never going to use the full 100mbit bandwidth. If you're using cable or DSL and you frequently have downstream speeds of 300-500k a second, you'll never have to worry about needing 802.11g. The advantage to this is if you don't really care about having a wireless print server, or being able to transfer files faster then 10mbits, you can pick up a nice router for like 40 bucks, and still have usually 4 other ethernet jacks for wiring stuff together (again, this is important for roommates, friends, gaming systems, file servers, and junk like that). Then if you still really need to transfer something fast, you just plug it in to that for a little while anyway.

If sacrificing those few things isn't going to kill you, save the 160 bucks.

Coolvirus007
May 11, 2004, 09:04 AM
I don't think you have to tinker with the Airport Admin Settings at all. That's only for config for a Aiport Base Station. In your case, just activate the airport signal sensor for the menu bar and select the network that the router is emitting. If its encrypted, it will ask for a password after you have selected the network.