Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GSA190

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I've just purchased a Power Mac G4 desktop type of computer from a friend of mine. I've asked around and I was told it wasn't able to connect to a wireless internet connection inside of my house. What do I buy so I can have wireless internet on the power mac?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It likely does not have an Airport Card Installed. Pull Open the side, and if there is a Laptop card near the front, then it does have wireless, if not, you need to either buy an AirPort Card (expensive) or a USB Wireless Adapter (cheap). I would recommend Belkin or Hawking for the USB adapter.

TEG

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Depending on the type of G4 you have it will either need a Airport or Airport Extreme (G) card.

You can get them pretty cheap off eBay

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
What model G4 do you have? The MDDs supported Airport Extreme(802.11g) while the older ones supported the original Airpot cards(802.11b). The originals used to be expensive but have come down in price and pretty much par with the USB counterparts.

All the G4s with the AP slots also have built in antennas and actually have really good reception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.