PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't be cool if Apple did this?

iBook
May 10, 2004, 08:51 PM
Instead of just listing an Apple store order as "Open" or "Shipped" or whatever, wouldn't it be cool if Apple offered this kind of detail. Here is my Dell order....

BTW, if I'm wrong and Apple does this, a thousand pardons. I can't eat my hat because I don't wear one! :rolleyes:

varmit
May 10, 2004, 08:59 PM
Apple had this. Told you where it was at in their production line and the day it was shipped. I think they even sent me emails on every part, or just for when it was shipped.

EJBasile
May 10, 2004, 09:15 PM
Or you could go to your apple store and not have to deal with shipping!

Bigheadache
May 10, 2004, 09:16 PM
I doubt you can do this when you outsource manufacturing to another company like Quanta in Taiwan/China. It would really then depend on the other manufacturer to set up this kind of system and link it to your inventory control systems. If Apple had this before, then it was probably on something they manufactured inhouse.

BrianKonarsMac
May 10, 2004, 10:53 PM
apple notified me via email as my BTO 933 G4 Power Mac went thru the processes of being shipped 2 years ago, dont know about today.

iBook
May 10, 2004, 11:53 PM
For the iBook I ordered BTO from the Apple Store this past February, I got an e-mail telling me the order was accepted and an e-mail telling me when the order shipped. What I like about this setup that Dell has is the amount of detail it adds vs. the "Open" that Apple provides for the in-between stages.

Once the machine has shipped, you get a tracking number -- same as with Apple -- and you can monitor status from there.

On a related note (I hope), has anyone had luck asking UPS to have the driver call ahead before a delivery so you can meet the driver at the door vs. getting the slip of paper and having to either "call in sick" the next day from work or truck out to the UPS warehouse?

Koodauw
May 11, 2004, 12:10 AM
I have this thing called patience. I would rather have Apple put money into design and new products, than knowing what stage my PC building is in. Now if we could only get those new products....

iBook
May 11, 2004, 12:54 AM
I have this thing called patience.

That's funny. I think about how accustomed we human beings have become to instant gratification. Wasn't that long ago folks were ordering out of the Sears & Roebuck catalog, only to wait several weeks with great enthusiasm for the Wells Fargo wagon to arrive with their treasure. In many ways, we're not that far removed from those days. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think it's as much anticipation as it is impatience - that makes tracking a PC from order to delivery fun. :)

MacFan26
May 11, 2004, 01:53 AM
Wasn't that long ago folks were ordering out of the Sears & Roebuck catalog, only to wait several weeks with great enthusiasm for the Wells Fargo wagon to arrive with their treasure.

Ah, the Sears Roebuck catalog. You're right, I don't think it's that much impatience, it's just cool to see where your stuff is. Even though shipping can be slow sometimes, I'm always excited while waiting for something to arrive. It's like you have something to look forward to, if nothing else.

jxyama
May 11, 2004, 09:15 AM
On a related note (I hope), has anyone had luck asking UPS to have the driver call ahead before a delivery so you can meet the driver at the door vs. getting the slip of paper and having to either "call in sick" the next day from work or truck out to the UPS warehouse?

that would create utter chaos... you aren't the only person receiving delivery.

iBook
May 11, 2004, 02:40 PM
Did you hear about the stampede at the dairy farm?

It was udder chaos.

Ha!

jxyama
May 11, 2004, 03:03 PM
Did you hear about the stampede at the dairy farm?

It was udder chaos.

Ha!

that's actually pretty funny. :D

JOD8FY
May 11, 2004, 03:16 PM
You bought a PC??!! :p I don't mind the way Apple has theirs set up, but it wouldn't hurt to know more...

JOD8FY