Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I am selling my imac for my ibook (gonna arrive tomorrow) but there are, umm sensitive photos (in iphoto)and sensitive documents (in preview). There not incriminating (as in criminal) or anything but they are embarrassing so how can I erase those photos and documents permanently? Will dragging them to the trash do the trick?

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Probably not.

jsupetran said:
Will dragging them to the trash do the trick?

Many computer mavens would probably be able to resurrect those deleted pics of yours.

Depending on how sensitive they are and how thoroughly you want them erased you might want to spend a little money and get a professional HD scrubber like this....

http://www.jiiva.com

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
The 'secure empty trash' option writes over the part of your hard drive that those pictures were stored on with (I believe this is the case) eight separate passes of random data. No one will be able to ever resurrect that information without a good deal of prescience.

Then again, have you considered selling your photos? ;)

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Secure Empty Trash is probably good enough, but reformatting the drive and overwriting it with zeros gives added security. It's what I'd do. There's also the option of reformatting the drive and writing random data over it 8 times, but that's probably overkill (unless you really are covering criminal activity) and it takes days to do it.

If you have Panther, all the tools to do any of these are in Disk Utility.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
If you are selling the iMac why aren't you erasing the harddrive first? There could be all sorts of data stored on it that you don't want someone to have. Various website cookies and any saved passwords are the first things to come to mind. I would definately recommend doing a fresh install with your OS cd to wipe everything out before you sell it.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
abhishekit said:
yah, drag them to trash, and from finder menu, do 'secure empty trash'..

cheers

Query here, is this a "Panther" only thing or can "secure empty" be done in Jaguar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.