Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
The Nikon is the DSLR of the two. If you're happy getting into the Nikon system, that's the one to go for.

gerlan

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
Can highly recommend the 18-70mm Kit lens- well worth shopping around if available in your price range. :)

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
That Nikon is a good choice, but also look at the Canon 400D/1000D/450D (depends on your price range) and I keep hearing really great stuff about the Olympus kit lenses (that is if you don't plan to expand much).

paintball312

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
In my opinion, Nikon's entry level line up is garbage compared to Canon's. When you get into prosumer bodies, its very even, and I would maybe sway toward Nikon at the upper edge. I would disregard the D40, D40x and D60, if you must go Nikon get a D50 or D70. They may be older, but they are also better. Look into a Canon XTi/XS/XSi, and I think you will be more satisfied as you progress as they offer some things that Nikon's entry level DSLRs do not.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
In my opinion, Nikon's entry level line up is garbage compared to Canon's. When you get into prosumer bodies, its very even, and I would maybe sway toward Nikon at the upper edge. I would disregard the D40, D40x and D60, if you must go Nikon get a D50 or D70. They may be older, but they are also better. Look into a Canon XTi/XS/XSi, and I think you will be more satisfied as you progress as they offer some things that Nikon's entry level DSLRs do not.
It's a tough choice. I'm a Canon guy, so that's what I'd recommend -- but I'm hearing lots of good stuff about Nikon these days...

paintball312

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
It's a tough choice. I'm a Canon guy, so that's what I'd recommend -- but I'm hearing lots of good stuff about Nikon these days...

I love nikon's higher end models. I'd love a D300,700 or D3x, and the rest tend to be on par with canon bodies in my opinion...other than those three bodies (D40, D40x, and D60) D80 on up are all good in my book.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Definitely think about grabbing a cheap D50 and seeing how you like things. They can be had for $300 or less these days, and are capable of autofocusing with every Nikon AF lens ever made.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I hate these Nikon vs. Canon wars. My opinion, at entry levels, Canon has more to offer, but thats just it, my opinion after reading many reviews and demoing products. Yours may be different. I recommend you test them out in stores. Or buy an Olympus or Pentax because they deserve a chance in this 2 dog marketplace :rolleyes:

Edit: Since its your first one I recommend you look at your local craigslist for a decent body that is 1 or 2 refreshes old. The Canon Rebel XTi would be a perfect example. Or Nikon's equivilent. Spend the extra dough on a superior lens. And remember, you are not just buying a camera, but buying into a whole system, you should like that brands selection of Zoom and Macro lens, external flash units, battery grips, and other accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.