PDA

View Full Version : Running a BZFlag Server

cjc343
May 11, 2004, 01:44 AM
First of all, great game, tank shooter, here's a link: (and free too!)

http://www.bzflag.org/

Second: I don't know if anyone here has any experience with running a BZFlag game server, but I am pretty certain that some of you have experience with other games. I have been trying to run a bzflag server on the grey box in my room that stays on 24/7 folding. I created a configuration file, and then attempted to run the server. After some tweaking, I now have it working on a home LAN, but anywhere outside of that, no luck.

I am pretty certain that my problem lies with my router (AEBS).

I have:

- Registered an account with dynDNS.org, and recieved a host address for a dynamic IP address.
- Downloaded an IP updating utility.
- Configured server
- Enabled Default Host (on AEBS) and assigned an IP for the default host. Then forced the grey box to use that IP.

here's where I run into problems: I start the server from a .bat file and it says (after a bunch of initiation stuff) "Listening on 00.00.00.00:5154" I can access it locally, but not anywhere else.

Without using the Default Host config, it starts everything properly, or seems to, and than says "ERROR: Unable to start the server."

I can provide details on other things if you ask for them, but I don't know what else you would need. basically I need to know how to configure the router.

I have yet to try connecting without the router, but I am pretty certain that the router is the problem.

cjc343
May 13, 2004, 02:40 AM
no-one? oh well.... I might figure it out eventually....