Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The new MB is now a 13" MBP with CPU speed bump, 256GB SSD or 500GB HDD, FW800, supporting upto 6GB RAM, new battery tech, new display, SD card slot, price decrease....

And then there's a quick face wash for the rev.C MBA - speed bump, a big price decrease and errrr.....well that's it apparently.

I love the MBA but unless we hear further spec upgrades on the MBA, it is now impossible to justify the MBA over the new 13" MBP.

I now think the rev. C is the last of the line, and the MBA obituary is being drafted.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I think they have the same screens now too. So thinness and weight <1.5lbs is the only reason to get an MBA.
True but very much outweighed (no pun intended) by the new 13 MBP's spec which frankly urinates on the 'new' MBA.

I can't believe they would put up such an insipid speed bump against the raft of wholesale and significant upgrades they've given the MB. In a way, it would have been better not to upgrade the MBA at all, especially on the same day.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Unless you need the form factor of the Air there's no reason to buy it.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Updating the MBA hardware is more challenging because it has to stay light a portable at the same time.

Price was one of the main problems with the MBA, so it's great to see it go down $300.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Updating the MBA hardware is more challenging because it has to stay light a portable at the same time.

Price was one of the main problems with the MBA, so it's great to see it go down $300.

I agree, and I still have faint hope that they need another 6 months (rev.D) to be able to accomplish all that 'shrinkage'.

But with such a fantastic MB upgrade, it may be that the Air will all but vanish and by next year, the next 13" MBP will be as thin as the MBA is today.

As for price, well yes that's good, but then the MB price has also been dropped.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The new MB is now a 13" MBP with CPU speed bump, 256GB SSD or 500GB HDD, FW800, supporting upto 6GB RAM, new battery tech, new display, SD card slot, price decrease....
Scratch that....apparently it supports 8GB same as the new 15" MBP (not that you'll need that but still...)

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
What I'm wondering is there really not going to be a normal old "Macbook" anymore? They can't keep the whitebook around forever.

As for the MBA, I bet they'll still sell enough. The main difference is size and weight, and that's still present. That's why I bought mine, not the illuminated keyboard etc, so I'll still buy MBAs in the future.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
It may not have all of the upgrades we wanted, but we get the 2.13 GHz CPU AND A $700 PRICE CUT!!! I cannot believe the price. Given the state of things, I am happy to pay $1799 for an MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU and 128 GB SSD!!! It will be fast and super lightweight! Better than no update and same price!

$700 DISCOUNT PLUS FASTER PROCESSOR... NOBODY SAW THIS COMING!

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
However we still dont know if they will have a better screen or if it is still a crap shoot of geting 9C9A or C989 instead of 9C8F...

That is my consolation of having bought the 1.8 in March with a fantastic screen.

Will be really intersting to see the quality of the new 13" MBP!

Actually that is probably what I would have bought today if the screen is good. Imagine 7 hours of battery time... Yummy!

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
However we still dont know if they will have a better screen or if it is still a crap shoot of geting 9C9A or C989 instead of 9C8F...

That is my consolation of having bought the 1.8 in March with a fantastic screen.

Will be really intersting to see the quality of the new 13" MBP!

Actually that is probably what I would have bought today if the screen is good. Imagine 7 hours of battery time... Yummy!
Well the MR update from WWDC announced that the 13" gets the same 'brand new display with 60% color gamut increase' as the 15".

So I think our fears of MBA-type lines or crappy washed out MB displays are no more. And yes, SEVEN hours is unbelievable even if it'll amount to no more than 4-5 under real world heavy use.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
It definitely muddies the water.

I think had this update gone on out 2.5 months ago, I might be typing this on a 13" MacBook Pro. It's a tough call. I really do love the form factor. It's a shame one cannot see the per unit sales, as it would be very interesting to see how many people now buy the base MBA vs. the top of the line model.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
The battery life on the 17in Pro was greatly improved as apple promised, so we can assume it'll be true for the 15/13 too

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The battery life on the 17in Pro was greatly improved as apple promised, so we can assume it'll be true for the 15/13 too
It IS true! Was specifically mentioned in the keynote - 7 hours! Which means around 4-5 in real world heavy use - that really is a big plus over the super-portable MBA.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Hasn't that always been the case?

You forgot "if you hate glassy screens".

The 2.13 SSD at that price is looking VERY tempting, even vs a uMB.
Please help convince me....I desperately want to stick with an MBA but aside from my hatred of the black bezelled glassy/glossy MB screen of old, I'm finding it very hard to ignore this new 13" MBP with new display, battery, FW, 8GB-supportable, 256GB SSD etc....

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Looks like the 9400M in the MacBook Air is faster too.

"Games get up to a 6x performance boost in MacBook Air, compared to the original model"

compared to originally they stated it was "4x" faster.

The battery is also upgraded in the MacBook Air from 37 wHr to 40 wHr.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Please help convince me....I desperately want to stick with an MBA but aside from my hatred of the black bezelled glassy/glossy MB screen of old, I'm finding it very hard to ignore this new 13" MBP with new display, battery, FW, 8GB-supportable, 256GB SSD etc....

6MB L2 cache on Air, 3MB on MacBook Pro 13"
Non glassy screen
Thinner
1/3 lighter!
Huge price cut, new processor and cheaper SSD option.
USB ethernet adapter included

Still, MBA. :)

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
It IS true! Was specifically mentioned in the keynote - 7 hours! Which means around 4-5 in real world heavy use - that really is a big plus over the super-portable MBA.

Well I meant we can trust them in saying that. bad wording, my bad

At first I was hoping it would be announced that the MBA would be getting the same battery upgrade, but then I remembered it basically already has it(atleast the main difference which is size because of it being non user replaceable). bummer :/

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
6MB L2 cache on Air, 3MB on MacBook Pro 13"
Non glassy screen
Thinner
1/3 lighter!
Huge price cut, new processor and cheaper SSD option.
USB ethernet adapter included

Still, MBA. :)

Well it's actually 50% lighter - which I love.

But I already have the ethernet adapter, plus the superdrive - left over from when my MBAs went back to Apple due to screen lines.

Price cut on the MB too as well as all the spiffy new upgrades in pretty much every department - that's what is so tempting.

Way I see it the rev.C is basically a rev.B (ok a CPU bump) but you just get the SSD at the old HDD price. Nice but in comparison to the new 13 MBP it pales a little.

redcrow240

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
the battery is now a 40 watt hour lithium polymer battery(tech specs from apple.com). How much of a difference is it from the previous rev B model? Can somebody please offer their thoughts on this. Im thinking of finally getting an air (have a macbook unibody with a less than stellar screen) and would like to update. Thank you

PS- thoughts on possible screen update (or grey line concerns) are also welcome

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Way I see it the rev.C is basically a rev.B (ok a CPU bump) but you just get the SSD at the old HDD price.

Isn't that enough?! SSD performance is stellar! And a clock speed increase also? Can't wait to try one out...

Nice but in comparison to the new 13 MBP it pales a little.

I feel I'll appreciate MBA as I'm not after a DTR. The MacBook is great too.... it's close. MBA suits me...

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
I've taken a pro-MBA stance on another thread...

[D]espite the major upgrades to the newly-dubbed 13" Macbook Pro, I think I'd still buy an MBA.

The 1.5 lb weight difference might not seem like a lot, but when you think about it as 50% extra and travel a lot, it actually is. The 4GB RAM and extra ports/SD slot are very nice, and similarly the superior battery life on the MBP is extremely tempting, but as far as advantages to the MBP go, that's about it for me.

Once you add a 128GB SSD to the cheapest 13" MBP model, it's only $100 less than the equivalent MBA. If you go ahead and add the 4GB RAM and faster processor, then the MBA actually becomes the better value machine. Given the significant weight trade-off (and the fact that I very rarely use a CD/DVD drive), I'd have to say that I'd still pick the MBA over the 13" MBP. The lack of an ugly glossy black bezel would just be a bonus...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.