PDA

View Full Version : Beige PowerMac G3 Upgrades...???

cavemanstudios
May 11, 2004, 08:30 AM
My brother has an old beige G3 desktop. It is getting kinda sad. While I would love to just tell him to get an iMac or something new, cost wise this is not possible at the present time. The main areas that I was looking at upgrading for him are hard drive, RAM, and a USB card. Any suggestions / ideas on prices or good deals on this hardware. I can install it all myself but I want to figure out if it is even worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer!!!

-Phil

thehuncamunca
May 11, 2004, 10:46 AM
take into consideration that a new emac is 749 with edu refurbished emacs and ones on ebay are as low as 450-500

the first upgrade to get would be more RAM, 256MB min
then a 7200rpm HD
then the USB card

you can probably do this all for 100-150 or so will give you a little more life in the computer, i'd avoid processor upgrades too much money for too little performance boast

My brother has an old beige G3 desktop. It is getting kinda sad. While I would love to just tell him to get an iMac or something new, cost wise this is not possible at the present time. The main areas that I was looking at upgrading for him are hard drive, RAM, and a USB card. Any suggestions / ideas on prices or good deals on this hardware. I can install it all myself but I want to figure out if it is even worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer!!!

-Phil

Mord
May 11, 2004, 10:51 AM
http://aex.org/mac/7000.html do this for 64mb ghraphical power