Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Mr. Anderson said:
http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/11/news/international/chiquita.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

wow, now there's something wrong with that - I'm sure its going to hurt business and it makes you wonder about the details of the whole thing. And it seems they're not the only company doing it.....

Sad, actually,

D

It is very widespread. There is an oil company being sued for providing money to Philippine terrorists for security purposes. They are being sued by relatives of someone unrelated to the company that was kidnapped and murdered by the terrorists.

There is a reason why people are not kidnapped in the US. It hasn't been profitable for 200 years. By paying for such things outside the country we encourage it.

Watch "Ransom". not the one with Mel Gibson but the original one with Glenn Ford and Leslie Neilson (In a dramatic role!)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
MongoTheGeek said:
By paying for such things outside the country we encourage it.

that's the sad part.... its just easier for the companies to pay off the terrorists than have to protect their property.... unless someone stands up to them, its not going to stop. But its a matter of the bottom line - money seems to be more important than lives... bleh,

D

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Mr. Anderson said:
that's the sad part.... its just easier for the companies to pay off the terrorists than have to protect their property.... unless someone stands up to them, its not going to stop. But its a matter of the bottom line - money seems to be more important than lives... bleh,

D

It puts them in a really ugly catch-22 though. They could be accused of being so greedy that they refuse to pay money to save lives.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It is a very sad commentary on life outside of the United States, although I wouldn't be surprised if in certain areas protection money is still paid here.
Greed is a sad thing, these gangs will continue as longs as they have a willing customer.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
virividox said:
omg by eating bananas i support terrorists...say it isnt so

And I like bananas - I might go out of my way to get other than Chiquita, but the thing is that Dole or any of the other companies might be doing the same. Chiquita is the only one admitting it.....

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its not a matter of if, just which ones....

obeygiant - I hate those sites, way too lame.... :D

D

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
wdlove said:
It is a very sad commentary on life outside of the United States, although I wouldn't be surprised if in certain areas protection money is still paid here.
Greed is a sad thing, these gangs will continue as longs as they have a willing customer.

It just goes to show that we don't live in the safe little cocoon we imagine ourselves in. America is not an island. Life outside the United States is lousy in some ways precisely because life inside the United States is so nice. It's the old saw about how no one wants to see how the sausage is made. Many of the cheap products we enjoy come at a much greater price for someone else in the world. Slave labor in China comes to mind. The average American's ignorance in these matters only enrages the rest of the world more.

Will I boycott Chiquita over this? What would that accomplish? Would I sleep better at night? I doubt it. There is just no way of knowing if the competition is any more aboveboard. I remember hearing an activist on criminal labor practices in China say that he can't boycott any single brand because pretty much everything is tainted but there is often no way of knowing for sure. You have to challenge the problem directly, not with boycotts.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
u guys do know that every major company does this right? pointing the finger at Chiquita does nothing. Monte Del Sol, Doll, any oil company, De Beers, the list goes on.

I think De Beers has a small army however.
Awimoway said:
Will I boycott Chiquita over this? What would that accomplish? Would I sleep better at night? I doubt it. There is just no way of knowing if the competition is any more aboveboard. I remember hearing an activist on criminal labor practices in China say that he can't boycott any single brand because pretty much everything is tainted but there is often no way of knowing for sure. You have to challenge the problem directly, not with boycotts.
you are absolutely correct, most companies are owned by massive conglomerates, so by boycotting a portion of a conglomerate, you are still likely supporting it by purchasing wares through seperate divisions of theres. Its like Toyota and Lexus (i know they have nothing to do with this, just came to mind) even if you boycott Lexus' cause you dont like luxury cars, if you buy Toyota, your still supporting their bottom line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.