Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
So does this mean I have to upgrade my drive in my G5? I thought I read somewhere that the superdrive in the G5s are capable of burning dual layer, but they needed the correct firmware or software.

If anything this will lower the price of DVD-5 disks since people will start buying DVD-9 disks.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i'm sure it'll be a while before dual layer discs will cost effective. heck, single layer discs are barely getting to that point, but this is certainly good news.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Laslo Panaflex said:
So does this mean I have to upgrade my drive in my G5?
Probably. As far as I know, dual-layer burners are much more expensive than single-layer burners. I would be surprised if the drive in your G5 has that capability, even with a firmware update.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mrsebastian said:
i'm sure it'll be a while before dual layer discs will cost effective. heck, single layer discs are barely getting to that point, but this is certainly good news.

Huh? Single layer DVD is about half the cost per MB than that of CD-R.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
no dual-layer media

To my knowledge they still haven't come out with the media. The burners are on the market but not the media.

jochild@yahoo.c

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
Sony has double layer

Sony has released a double layer burner, you can find it for less than $200 in most cases, it is only pc compatible though, and they also have double layer media. The double layer media is useless, because it costs$15 per disc.
Another thing, i think that within a few months they will release firmware that is doulble layer compatible for the superdrive. I don't see why any dvd-r drive couldn't be double layer compatible, because they all have the capablility to read dual layer discs, it is just a matter of re-focusing the laser, so i think within a short amount of time it will be released.

Sony's double layer writer

i can't find the link for the media, but they had it earlier, and one disc cost $14

Declan

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2003
PowerMacMan said:
Why would we have to upgrade, you mean we couldn't burn double layer on single layer dvd drives?

Existing single layer DVD burners won't be able to burn dual layer discs, even with firmware updates, so in a word no, you will have to buy a new drive..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.