PDA

View Full Version : 2x1.8GHz G5 fans on high all the time?

autophile
May 11, 2004, 10:16 AM
Hi all,

I just got a (refurb) dual 1.8 GHz G5, and from the beginning, the fans have been on high all the time. It is quite noisy. I called tech support, and after having me hit the PMU Reset button to no effect, they told me that "there is quite a bit of electronics running in a dual machine, so the fans would be running all the time". I know a tech support blow-off line when I hear one.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have a dual processor G5 whose fans are NOT on all the time? Then I can tell tech support that the fans should NOT be running all the time.

2. How do I get tech support to fix this? Or, if it's a DIY-able problem, can I fix it?

Thanks,

--Rob

Mord
May 11, 2004, 10:56 AM
apple postyed a g5 fan update a while bck have you installed it? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/fancontrolupdate.html

BrianKonarsMac
May 11, 2004, 10:57 AM
i use dual g5's at school, and in a room with 20 or so, it's still not hot enough for the fans to run constantly. i find they run at high on startup, then quickly settle down upon initialization of the OS. it sounds like the tech support was being a lazy ass, you may want to ask to speak with his manager. the fan's should only be on full blast if your really cranking out some heavy mathematical computations (render of a huge 3d file etc) and even then it's questionable. the G5's are supposed to be quiet, that's why they are aerated and have seven fans.

apple postyed a g5 fan update a while bck have you installed it? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/fancontrolupdate.html

i believe that update is included in 10.3, unless your not using 10.3.

cspace
May 11, 2004, 11:13 AM
i had this issue with my refurbished 2.0 GHz dualie. try running the diagnostics disc, and see if you get an error. i did, and the apple support rep told me to take it to the closest Apple store where they would perform a thermal recalibration on it. they did and that fixed the problem.

autophile
May 11, 2004, 12:08 PM
OK, so I called up tech support again, and this time I got someone who knew what he was talking about. We checked to make sure the O/S and firmware was up to date (including that firmware update which has the fan stuff in it, mentioned above). So now it looks like it may be a hardware problem -- probably the thermal sensor.

I'll bring the server to a repair shop for them to deal with it.

Thanks for letting me know that it's supposed to be *quiet*!

--Rob

coyoteshawn
May 11, 2004, 12:25 PM
My Dual 2.0 Ghz ran with fans on high because of my midiman keyboard pluged into a USB hub. I rearranged my USB devices and it worked fine. Some USB and Firewire devices will also cause the G5s as well as the G4s to not fall asleep. I am no expert but I hope that helps.