Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bazza88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Which one do you think I should get.

It will cost me exactly £128.8 more from the UK HE store for the new base model macbook pro.

Do you think that extra price is worth it for the features the new macbook pro provides or would you just go with the white macbook?

Pretty good updates by apple either way.

Thanks in advance :D

bazza88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Do you want metal or not? I'd go with plastic and use the money to get AppleCare.

Cheers for your opinion, the great thing with the UK apple HE store is that if you order online you automatically get a free 3 year warranty included - so basically just applecare. I think the only difference is that you do not get the same amount of phone support.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thank you for reminding me about the fact of the UK HE store.

It's up to your if you want the metal body or not then.

insept

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Sweden
First post! *Woohoo*

Well, I'm going with the Macbook as well. The "upgrade" on the low-end MBP 13" isn't really worth all that extra money IMO. It's only in games and such you really can tell the difference since the MBP got DDR3 and the 9400 gfx crd uses shared memory.. and I'm not going to play games on this computer. And yeah... i live in Sweden. The low-end MBP 13" is about 309$ more than the Macbook... i can use those 309$ to buy a bigger hdd and some more RAM.

Plus, I'm in love with the white design :D

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I would take alu, more robust, lighter, faster, better display, far better battery etc. Also, the alu is more scratch-proof and hardly gets dirty. After one year my plastic MB turned grey / yellow in some parts. The alu MB, on the other hand, still looks like new.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the replies, I am still undecided :rolleyes:

You have to see them side by side. £128 is not a lot if you really prefer the Al form factor.

Personally, I just dislike the black bezel and glass, so I would get the whitebook. They are both great machines and you can't go wrong with either, but only you know what your likes/dislikes are.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I personally would get the 13" MBP because it has a backlight keyboard, Firewire 800 port and an SD card slot along with a bigger battery. It also has a better screen and is half a pound lighter. Not to mention that the aluminum is much sturdier and won't crack, something which is a problem with the plastic Macbooks.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I personally would get the 13" MBP because it has a backlight keyboard, Firewire 800 port and an SD card slot along with a bigger battery. It also has a better screen and is half a pound lighter. Not to mention that the aluminum is much sturdier and won't crack, something which is a problem with the plastic Macbooks.

Totally agree! Plus you get a better trackpad.

A lot of things for the small upgrade price. I would definitely get the pro.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I would go with the new macbook pro 13.3". Mostly because it was released today and had some newer features/speedbump that I think is worth the extra money. Not to mention the nicer looking form factor.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
The 7 hours Battery Life on the 13" Mac Book Pro is selling point for me. Time to cut back on other expenses. LOL

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I would get the MBP 13"...

The trackpad and lighted keyboard is two pieces of technology that I am start not being able to live without!!!

If the white MB had those two options, I would give you a more informed reply :rolleyes:

CrackBookPro:cool:

TeeRav1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
Houston, TX
The 7 hours Battery Life on the 13" Mac Book Pro is selling point for me. Time to cut back on other expenses. LOL
I agree, basically every feature is improved on the 13" Pro. But if you don't need all of the improved features, then why spend more money? If the laptop is going to get the job done, and get it done efficiently, then what more can you ask for? With that being said, it helps to have a new computer that won't become outdated as quickly.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Which one do you think I should get.

It will cost me exactly £128.8 more from the UK HE store for the new base model macbook pro.

Do you think that extra price is worth it for the features the new macbook pro provides or would you just go with the white macbook?

Pretty good updates by apple either way.

Thanks in advance :D

Wow. I didnt think people would even ask themselves this question...
If you can only afford the whitebook then thats understandable but if you could have either, is it really even a question about which one to get??

bazza88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Wow. I didnt think people would even ask themselves this question...
If you can only afford the whitebook then thats understandable but if you could have either, is it really even a question about which one to get??

Hi thanks for your input.

The new pro does have more features which is a bonus but it basically comes down to aluminium vs polycarbonate for me.

Maybe the reason for my debate is because I am unsure exactly what the build quality of the macbook really is like, is it really that bad compared to the aluminium builds?

Thanks again.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Hi thanks for your input.

The new pro does have more features which is a bonus but it basically comes down to aluminium vs polycarbonate for me.

Maybe the reason for my debate is because I am unsure exactly what the build quality of the macbook really is like, is it really that bad compared to the aluminium builds?

Thanks again.

I hope you didnt take my comment as being "a smart ass"!

I have owned both MacBooks. The WhiteBoy & now I have (what I call) The Collectors Edition. I would say without a shadow of a doubt, the Aluminum is 1000 times nicer than the plastic!
(again I'm not trying to dis anybody with the plastic)
Its all personal preference I suppose...
The plastic TO ME just has a "cheap toy" feeling where the Aluminum feels like a Mack truck!

bazza88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
I hope you didnt take my comment as being "a smart ass"!

I have owned both MacBooks. The WhiteBoy & now I have (what I call) The Collectors Edition. I would say without a shadow of a doubt, the Aluminum is 1000 times nicer than the plastic!
(again I'm not trying to dis anybody with the plastic)
Its all personal preference I suppose...
The plastic TO ME just has a "cheap toy" feeling where the Aluminum feels like a Mack truck!

No not at all, I am very gratefull for your input - thanks!

I guess it's just because i've never owned either and couldn't really tell what the build quality of the white macbook was like, without owning one.

However I think i'm going to go with the new macbook pro :D, I would regret it if I didn't. It is of course better build quality, without a doubt.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.