Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
any ideas on 17"-20" lcd monitor to go with a 12" or 15" PB? I'm working w/photo shop on scanned photos. So i'm interested in a monitor with best color gamut contrast ratio.....thanks for your recommendations.......

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
From Experience

I highly recommend the "Formac" line of LCD monitors. If you compare them to others, you'll find the specs to be better than the other brands.

Plus the pricing is very good. I have been using the Formac 2010 for about a year now and I have not seen anything that comes close to the quality, clarity, brightness, etc.

At least, check them out www.formac.com

This thing is just awesome all the way around!

Hope this is helpful.

Take Care,
Quark

msp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
thanks, i checked out their sight-they look nice but a little spendy....do you know how do they compare to apple displays? Apple's 17" is going for $630 these days...

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Far, far better

As far as pricing, I understand that there is a cost factor when comparing the smaller sizes, but at the time that I got mine, it was actually much less expensive than the comparable Apple monitor.

As far as quality, the Formac is the best in the industry. I have worked with several different displays - from Apple, Sony, Philips, Viewsonic, NEC, etc. I am a professonial software developer and need a clear, bright, sharp, and color acurate display. Nothing can touch the Formac. I'm not sure who actually manufactures the LCD panel itself, but I have not seen anything come close to the quality of the Formac.

Here's a web address to some more recent user reviews (well, 2 anyway...)
http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=548461/id_type=masterid

Apple 17" Studio Display current list is $699.

The 17" Formac is listed at $649. So for $20 more than the price that you found ($630), no-tax (if you buy over the net), you'll get something that you will enjoy for a very long time. And it complements all Apple systems very well.

There is a Formac 2010 (20") on eBay, but it is at $500 and there are over 6 days left...

I'm kinda picky and wouldn't make such a substantial investment in something that is used.

Formac displays are one of those hidden Gems -- and just so you know... no, I don't work for Formac.

Good luck and best wishes,
Quark

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Just a word of warning, there seem to be a lot more complaints about Formac circulating the net than any other line of LCD screens.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
DGFan said:
Just a word of warning, there seem to be a lot more complaints about Formac circulating the net than any other line of LCD screens.

i believe this is because formac recently changed ownership (or something to that nature) so their customer support has been lacking. i do, however, believe that they have gotten their act together. dont' take my word on it.

locopano

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Melbourne
FORMAC monitors are better than the apple displays. They comewith the adaptor DVI and ADC, 3 years warranty much faster screen rate (no ghosting), they are much clearer, brighter than apples as well.

Check out the FORMAC websitethey have a COMPARE tab..its shows you just how much better the monitors are with the technicals specs etc..

I would go with FORMAC over APPLe unless there is a substancial price difference..but fiyou play games (i dont) the FORMAC wont leave you with the "ghosting effect" its can have monitors response times as low as

10ms but genrally 25ms on avg... where as apple displays are 40ms apparently...

checjk out formac.com... you can buy from a US company called B&Horsomething for 650US ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.