Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I really like what they did with the macbook pro today. I would rather have the sd slot than the express card that I have never used on my MBP. The new prices are really, really, great.

But now that the Macbook line is part of the PRO macs, what is going to happen with the "macbook" brand. Will it disapper when the white macbook reaches the end of production? Would they release a netbook or table under this name?

hmmm.... very interesting...

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Hopefully they will keep the white macbooks for a long time even though i dont think they will considering its complety the odd one out of the other notebooks. The white macbook is there second biggest seller though ;)

And i really dont think they will get rid of the brand 'macbook' when the white macbook range goes. It will always be there. I think . . .

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Hopefully they will keep the white macbooks for a long time even though i dont think they will considering its complety the odd one out of the other notebooks. The white macbook is there second biggest seller though ;)

Now that the 13" Pro has FW I dont really see a reason to keep the WhiteBoy around anymore... Just my thoughts tho.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Yeah but for some reason i think it will stay around for quite some while as a cheap option for students and first time mac buyers like myself. They will have the MBP's , MBA's as unibodys and the macbook the lower machine of the both as white to be different. Maybe im complety off but i get that impression from the website

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
when there was the introduction of the aluminum macbook I thought why are they keeping the whitebook? I figured it was just left over.

When they started updating the whitebook I realized they were still manufacturing it.

Then the rumor came out a few weeks ago that the aluminum macbook would be rebranded and I believed it because I saw it coming. It ended up true.

Never has the consumer lineup been so minimal and why still sell a product that they have admitted is prone to problems? My guess is they are stalling. I remember it was either after the notebook event or during last years quarter conference when asked about the netbooks Tim Cook said they have some ideas.

Late 09 (after the iPod event) or Early '10 is when all will be revealed. I was expecting whatever "it" is would be the one more thing but what ever "it" is will be getting it's own event.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Even though I am pissed that I got my macbook a few days ago, I still have respect for apple that AT LEAST they lowered the prices JUST a bit and added more specs as standard. I would really love to see microsoft and palm making some sort of comeback. If they even can :)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Now that the 13" Pro has FW I dont really see a reason to keep the WhiteBoy around anymore... Just my thoughts tho.

They'll keep it around because it's $200 cheaper, and that sub-$1000 number will draw in tons of buyers that an $1199 model won't. Also, some people really like the old school white plastic look.

Even though I am pissed that I got my macbook a few days ago, I still have respect for apple that AT LEAST they lowered the prices JUST a bit and added more specs as standard. I would really love to see microsoft and palm making some sort of comeback. If they even can :)

Did you not see the Palm Pre release this past weekend? That is one slick device (having played with it and a co-worker bought it already)

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
They'll keep it around because it's $200 cheaper, and that sub-$1000 number will draw in tons of buyers that an $1199 model won't. Also, some people really like the old school white plastic look.

Yup 2 main reasons i bought my whitebook.

TeeRav1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
Houston, TX
I definitely think they will keep the MacBook name. It's just so iconic! But I do think this leaves room for something like a netbook/lower-spec laptop; and possibly even a tablet.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
They'll keep it around because it's $200 cheaper, and that sub-$1000 number will draw in tons of buyers that an $1199 model won't.

Yea but I guess the real question is if its worth it for Apple to continue to produce it.
But I guess thats all dependent on how it sells from here on out..

If I were in the position for a new notebook and i saw those 2 side by side (white mb & aluminum mb) I think the decision would be a no brainer! The looks of the unibody alone is probably worth the 200 to most people..

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I'll bet the house that it's Step Two for reclassifying 'macbook' to the netbook/tablet/thingy that's been rumored.

secondfox

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
I know I like the white Apple look.

I really think that Apple might add another model or two to the MacBook line. I haven't heard anything, but I would like to see a 14" model. I think that would be a great addition to the laptop line.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
Yea but I guess the real question is if its worth it for Apple to continue to produce it.
But I guess thats all dependent on how it sells from here on out..

If I were in the position for a new notebook and i saw those 2 side by side (white mb & aluminum mb) I think the decision would be a no brainer! The looks of the unibody alone is probably worth the 200 to most people..

This is precisely one of the reasons why Apple will continue to offer a plastic MB -- to get you to spend $200 more.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
This is precisely one of the reasons why Apple will continue to offer a plastic MB -- to get you to spend $200 more.

Touche!
I didnt look at it from that angle....

But that goes with what I'm saying, is it really cost effective to do that? Produce something that isnt going to sell..

Nocturnal22

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
I really like what they did with the macbook pro today. I would rather have the sd slot than the express card that I have never used on my MBP. The new prices are really, really, great.

But now that the Macbook line is part of the PRO macs, what is going to happen with the "macbook" brand. Will it disapper when the white macbook reaches the end of production? Would they release a netbook or table under this name?

hmmm.... very interesting...

Its gonna be covered in plastic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.