Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
here is the thing. I have 160gb ipod classic, which is getting to be a bit bulky to bring into my car and at home, so i want to maybe get a nano someday. I would def. wait til september cause thats when new ones come out usually, but im just curious. the ipod touch has a 32 gb version. why is there no 32 gb of a nano?, because i woudl at least need 64gb.

im just curious on anyones take on this. thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There are two basic takes on this issue:

1) Physical packaging space and the size of the flash chips -- many people consider this the reason that the iPod touch gets a size configuration before any other device -- it's approximately the same size as the iPhone, and bigger than the other devices, but it has no phone hardware in it, leaving more space for the memory chips. As subsequent memory chips get denser (more storage in less space), then eventually they fit in the more limited space of the iPhone and subsequently the other devices. The nano has a lot less space in it than the iPod touch.

2) Marketing -- that is, Apple pays attention to how many people would buy a larger nano at a price that is attractive to Apple for selling it. So even when the hardware is available, Apple is always playing this game. It's the major reason they're profitable.

There probably will be a 64GB nano. It will probably continue to take 18-24 months for each new generation doubling of the capacity of the nano. There will probably not be a time in the near future when the nano and the touch have the same maximum capacity.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Like pretty much anything in technology, it likely isn't a matter of if, but more a matter of when. Mkrishnan summed it up very well, and I agree that we'll likely see one in 2 or maybe 3 refreshes.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Well if history repeats itself then we will see a 32gb one in september and a 64gb one in 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.