Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I'm going to be taking my iPhone and iPod to Europe later this summer. Naturally, I have a lot of great TV shows on them, and I would like to output the video to hotel room TVs, when I have a chance.

Hotel TVs in the U.S. often have the yellow, white, and red cables. Composite video and stereo audio.

However, I know that connection is less common in Europe.

What would be most common in Europe and does Apple sell a cable that outputs to that type of cable? Is component cables common there at all, or s-video or what?

Many thanks!

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Check with the hotel for best result.

European SDTV typically has component and S-video like North American sets.

Riezer

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
most common connector in europe is...

SCART, U.S. equivalent is EIA interface.
For instance: My original xbox has a SCART connector, but the red/yellow/white connectors (video-in, audio left+right) you mentioned are plugged into it. Sometimes TV's also have S-Video. I just checked mine, it has 4x SCART, red/white/yellow and S-video.

Since the early nineties all tv-sets have at least 1 SCART connector. I don't know about the newest tv's, they have HDMI and probably SCART too.

Also...sometimes I see really strange tv's in hotels, especially in cheap chain hotels like Formule1, nhhotels. I think they get custom tv's with anti-theft constructions etc.. Maybe they only have coaxial input, i don't know, never checked (I don't watch tv).

Anyway: I'd recommend a cable like my xbox has. And, have fun over here!!

Note: I think this SCART plug is the worst invention ever, since you have to look at the back of the tv to make it fit, which is horrible when your tv is 90 pounds and somewhere in the corner. Not seeing what you're doing may result in minutes of trying to get it right and is like a lottery.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks. In the U.S., composite is the safest bet because all cheap Tvs have composite, yellow, white, and red.

Sounds like component might be the better bet in Europe.

There is not a SCART connector it seems for ipod output, so that isn't an option.

Many thanks.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Thanks. In the U.S., composite is the safest bet because all cheap Tvs have composite, yellow, white, and red.

Sounds like component might be the better bet in Europe.

There is not a SCART connector it seems for ipod output, so that isn't an option.

Many thanks.

Component's not really a good idea -- it's not particularly common (at least in the UK).

Your best bet is a composite (Yellow, Red, White) cable for the iPod. Then, get a SCART adapter - it's just a SCART plug with 3 phono connectors for the composite, left and right audio. Just plug the iPod cable into that.

These kinds of SCART adapters are really, really common (for example, the Xbox 360 comes bundled with one in the UK and presumably Europe). Here's a link to what I'm talking about!

(as a side-note, SCART connectors are the most fiendishly infuriating connector known to mankind. Sure, they're bi-directional and carry RGB as well as composite, with cool tricks such as widescreen signalling... but... They have a habit of coming slightly loose. It can take a few hours of 'hmm, this doesn't sound right' before realising you've lost your left or right audio channel 'cos your SCART's not been wobbled just right. Oh, and try plugging one in without looking -- much entertainment will ensue - plus a few grounding 'buzz' shocks if the equipment's still plugged in). Best thing about moving my satellite TV, Mac Mini and Xbox to HDMI was becoming SCART-free. Well, all but the old Atari Jaguar, but I'll forgive it!)

[edit] One last thing - many US product manuals I've read which mention SCART leads or cables tend to use the connector's 'other' name -- a Peritel connector. Perhaps Peritel is a more common term for SCART in the US.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks. TVs here it is very common to just have some a/v plugs on the front to connect things up fast even at hotels. Oh well, maybe not so easy there, that's the beauty of the world being different.

I am familiar with scart, but most of the U.S. would not be, you don't find it on anything at all here.

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
yeah i agree with some of the posters above. composite (yellow,white and red) is standard, if not then scart is, so just get a composite to scart adapter, and plug it in.

component never really turned up in europe, and is already on its way out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.