PDA

View Full Version : MAC Address, Airport and PC Network

ericc22
May 11, 2004, 07:46 PM
I am a switcher, and a networking fool! Please help.

I have a brand new PB 17". I want to connect to the wireless network at work. I only need the internet access. The network admin does not know Macs. She needs a MAC address and only knows that I should be able to find it on the actual card. Of course, I have Airport built in so I don't have a PCMCIA card to read!

How can I find the MAC address that she needs? She then needs to put an encryption key onto my laptop. Where does that go?

In the system profile, it lists the "Wireless Card Firmware Version and has 2 sets of #s. Is either one of those #s the MAC address?

Again, I have had a Mac for 2 days so take it easy on me!

Thanks!

Eric

Celeron
May 11, 2004, 08:12 PM
You can find the MAC address in System Preference --> Network --> Double click on Airport --> On the first screen you should see (should be the Airport tab) there is the "Airport ID." That's the MAC address of your Airport card.

To enter the encryption key, you can click on the airport meter up in the bar, select "other" and just fill in the appropriate information. Your IT person should be able to help you at that point.

ericc22
May 11, 2004, 08:30 PM
Celeron,

Thanks. Very stupid of me -- I never even tried double clicking on that. I got the MAC address and now hopefully the IT person can take it from here.

Much appreciated!

Eric