PDA

View Full Version : RAID on quicksilver

crashtd
May 11, 2004, 08:32 PM
Hey guys i'm an ATA/IDE newb. How do i go about setting up a parity RAID setup on a G4 Quicksilver? What do i jump my drives to? Can i run the system (10.2) on the raid array? thanx

-crashtd

BrianKonarsMac
May 11, 2004, 10:07 PM
Hey guys i'm an ATA/IDE newb. How do i go about setting up a parity RAID setup on a G4 Quicksilver? What do i jump my drives to? Can i run the system (10.2) on the raid array? thanx

-crashtd i know nothing about raid, but check out Disk Utility. Click on a drive, select raid, add drives to the raid array, choose your raid setting and click create. i think you need more than 2 drives? or more than 2 drives off the main drive, since i have 2 and can't create a raid setup.

like i said, i know nothing about raid, but check it out, should be easy to figure out if you do.

csubear
May 11, 2004, 10:53 PM
You can only do software level 0,1 (one big disk,mirrored). If you want to do level 5 you will need a RAID card. I don't know if apple sells one or not. I am sure you could find one though. You should run the OS off your built in ATA controller. Whats you budget?

crashtd
May 12, 2004, 02:06 AM
i just need a simple parody (raid 1). I'm tight with the money but easy with the lovin' :p Seriously money isn't a huge deal, but i know i don't need much to get what i want done. Basically i'm just running a small server, but its 300 miles away from me, so i just want some protection if i lose a drive it'll be alright until i can drive up and swap in a new disk. I was planning to just do s/w raid off disk utility. But didn't know if i could run the system off the array, and i also don't know if both drives are master/slave or if one is slave and the other master, or if i just put them in a bag, shake'm and pop'em in the oven

csubear
May 12, 2004, 02:25 AM
methinks that level 1, (which is what you can get in software) is mirrored raid. So total space = 1/2 total hard drive space. Yes you can run your system of it. I have done it before. (But with raid 0) If you have cash, and you have alot of data (which it seems you don't), and you need something that isn't level 1 or 0 (most people like 5, which is the parity drive you spoke of) then the XRAID is very good. 1TB = $5000. + it is really fast, and on fibre channel. In fact its so fast i don't think a quicksilver could even take up half the bandwidth avialbe on the thing. </END SALES PITCH>

But really, software RAID is a quick fix. You can't expand it with out eraseing it. And you only get 1 and 0.

2 cents

superbovine
May 12, 2004, 02:30 AM
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=169526&seqNum=11